Chapter 17: Battle of the Individual Musicians

"Hey, Fred, can I get down now?" I asked.

     "Of course! For what reason, may I ask?" he responded.

     "None really," I said as he crouched down, allowing me to slide off. "It's just easier to race you when both my feet are on the floor."

     "Wh-"

     "Bye!" I laughed mischievously, starting to run off.

     Unfortunately for me, he saw what was coming and grabbed me by the waist before I could get too far.

     "You are very fast," he commented. "But you are also becoming very predictable. Why do you keep running? Am I really that unlikable?"

     He lifted me back onto his shoulders and I crossed my arms and huffed. "Sometimes," I muttered jokingly.

     The truth was, I'd eaten one too many Starbursts and it was starting to get to me. But for some reason I opted to let Freddy believe I was just half-fun and half-responsible instead of prone to getting high on Starbursts.

     "What was that?"

     "Oh, nothing!" I sang.

     "No, really. I'm curious now."

     "Not unless you put me back down."

     He stopped walking, and put a thoughtful hand on his chin, as if deep in thought. "... No."

     "What?" I asked, pretending to be deeply offended. "How dare you refuse me! And after everything I've done for you! Just you wait until the others hear about this!"

     "Oh dear! Whatever shall I do?" he asked sarcastically, rolling his eyes.

     "You should run," I advised. "And I'll race you!"

     He chuckled and shook his head. "You sure do like racing. And quite good at it, I will admit. How are you so fast?"

     "I was in track in high school," I told him.

     "Ah, yes! I do recall seeing something like that in your file. Did you enjoy it?"

     "Not at first. I was not very fast at all when I first tried out, but I made the team doing long jump and distance. The next year though, I decided I wanted to try sprinting, and..."

     "Go Y/N! Woo! Look Mom! Look Dad! It's Y/N! She's so fast!"

     My brother's voice echoed in my head. I vividly remembered my last track meet. My whole family had come to cheer me on.

     "Y/N, I saw you! You went like zoom! And it was so cool!"

     "Awww, thanks kiddo!"

     "When I'm older, I'm gonna be just as fast as you!"

     I smile. "No, you'll be even faster!"

     He scrunches up his face. "What?! Nuh uh! You're the fastest person ever, Y/N!"

     Scooping him up, I reply, "Not for long! In the blink of on eye, you'll be this awesome super-speedster!"

     His eyes widen as if I'd told him the Easter Bunny was coming to his birthday party. "Super-speedster?"

     "Mhm!"

     I see the sparkle in his eyes. His hopes and dreams were reflected in those eyes of his. He throws his arms around me and says, "I love you, Y/N!"