02

Jonah's POV

Sometimes it feels like the only time I get even a short moment of peace is the elevator ride before conference meetings. It's quiet, save for the annoying muzak that plays through the speakers. Often I find myself imagining what it would be like to tear the panel off the wall and tear the wires from their roots. Acting on such an urge would be insane, so I ignore it. But the incessant noise grates against my eardrums.

     Today, though, I barely notice the muzak as I listen to the light beep as the elevator passes each of the ten floors between my office's floor and the ground floor. I glance down at my watch to check the time, and as the last long ding signals that the elevator has reached my destination, I look up.

     The woman standing on the other side of the doors freezes, her body going rigid as her russet eyes lock onto mine. I recognize her features, and my eyebrows shoot up, before the surprise wears off and I smirk.

     "Fancy meeting you here," I remark as I step off the elevator.

     She backs up and the look of surprise never leaves her face. "Uh... You..."

     "Work here? Yeah." I chuckle and watch as the elevator door slides shut. Her eyes follow my line of sight. "Did you need that?"

     She sighs. "Yeah," she replies but doesn't hit the button again. "You work here?"

     Oh, I'm more than just a regular employee. But she doesn't need to know that right now. "Yeah. But the question is, what brings you here? Are you a stalker?" I tease.

     Her full lips slide into a pout as she crosses her arms over her chest. I fight the urge to let my eyes follow the movement. "I'm not a stalker. I have an interview here. I'm one of the new candidates for the Russian translator position."

     That catches my attention. If she gets this job, she and I will have to work together on a daily basis.

     Lucky for me, I'm a member of the interview panel.

     I'm not sure what it is, but something about her draws me to her. But she's here. At my company. That can't be a coincidence. The universe - or whatever entity - has sent me a sign in the form of a five-foot-something brown-haired bombshell with the body of an angel.

     "I see," I say, stepping past her and down the hall. "Come with me. The interviewing location has been changed."

     "And you know this how?" she asks. Her heels click against the ground as she falters after me.

     "Because I'll be a part of the team that is conducting interviews today." I stop for a second and wait for her to catch up. Glancing down at the list, I smile. "Your name is Harley?"

     "Is that funny to you?"

     I look up at her, confused. "I'm sorry?"

     "You smiled as you said it. Is my name funny to you?" She cocks one of her wide hips and plants her hand on it.

     I fight back another smile. The way she's pouting is adorable, and had she been anyone else, this interaction alone would be more than enough to excuse her from her interview.

     She straightens up, and it's obvious she's realizing this too. "I'm sorry. That was inappropriate."

     "Don't apologize. It's fine." I lead her down the conference hall and stop in front of room three. "Here's your stop. One of the other interviewers or I will come get you when it's time for your interview. There are some snacks and soda in there as well."

     As she turns and enters the room, I hear footsteps thumping on the waxed linoleum of the hallway. Turning my attention away from Harley, I spot my father's lawyer, Marco Catalano, approaching me. It shouldn't have been a surprise that he would be on the interview panel, considering the new translator will be a big part of our upcoming project.

     "I'm assuming my father sent you?" I ask. He looks more run-down than usual. There are slight bags under his eyes, and his normally gelled hair curls into his face.

     "There has been a lot going on lately. If it weren't for me, your father would be joining you today." He tugs on the sleeves of his suit jacket. He knows how demanding my father can be, as well as how much I prefer to avoid him.

     "Well, thank you for that, then," I say, turning to pull open the door of conference room two. "Shall we?"

     He nods and steps through the doorway.

     Inside is someone from HR - Ana, if I remember right - the third and final member of our interviewing panel.

     "Who's first?" she asks as Marco eases himself into the chair across from her.

     I take my seat at the end of the table between the two of them and look down at my list. Fortunately, my favorite candidate is first. "Harley Goode."

     Ana stands. "I'll go get her."

     Marco sighs as he leans against the back of his chair and cracks his back. "I hate this process. Have either of you looked into any of the candidates?"

     "Dak-Ho seems promising." I rifle through the papers in my folder and stop on Dak-Ho's resume. "He grew up speaking Korean, so that could be helpful. He's also highly intelligent and speaks three other languages."

     "But?" Marco raises a dark eyebrow. "I know that look."

     "Our first interviewee, Harley. Her resume is impressive." I pull her resume out of the pile and point to each fact as I read them out, "Graduated summa cum laude from Brown, speaks French, Italian, Spanish, German, Russian, and English, obviously. She interned with a big law firm in her hometown before moving to Seattle. I mean, as long as her interview goes well, I think she's the best fit."

     Marco reads through her resume, his blue eyes moving left to right in rapid succession as he scans her qualifications. "Hm. I have to say I agree. We'll see." He looks up. "I wonder what's taking Ana so long."

     As if she heard Marco, Ana pushes through the door and clears her throat. "Sorry, I went to the wrong conference room."

     Harley steps through the door behind her, and every trace of our earlier interaction was gone, replaced by a more professional demeanor. Good. As much as I want her to be here, I can't change anything if Marco and Ana deem her unfit for the job.

     Ana and Harley take their seats, and Harley sits with near-perfect posture, folding her hands into her lap. Marco and Ana write something down on their notepads before waiting for me to start the interview.

     Please impress them as much as you impress me, Harley Goode.