10

Jonah's POV

When we get to the small conference room, I can tell Harley is surprised that there is only one man sitting at the round table. It's a smaller conference room, so it couldn't have fit more than eight people, but still, the absence of at least a two representatives is shocking. Something isn't right about this.

I chew on my lip. If this deal doesn't close, the company is done for. This is our last hope and I'll have wasted all the time and effort I've invested to keep the company running. So many people will lose their jobs. We have almost three thousand employees working for us between all of our campuses. I can't let them all become jobless.

"Pietre Obolensky," the man says, reaching a hand out as we approach the table.

I grasp it firmly, but not hard enough to hurt him. If there is anything good that my father taught me, it was how to shake someone's hand properly. "It's a pleasure to meet you."

Harley repeats what I've said in Russian and he turns to shake her hand as well.

Mr. Obolensky starts talking rapidly, and part of me wishes I could speak Russian. It sounds like what he's saying is so aggressive, but from my experience in other languages, it's easy to mistake tone if you don't know the language.

"He says that the board members have been busy getting the property ready for sale. This is a great offer for them, as they've been trying to get a partnership with a company in the United States for a while." She pauses and lets him finish his statement. "They're very excited."

"That's wonderful. Our board members think this will be a wonderful opportunity for both companies." I pause and wait for Harley to translate before speaking again, "We still have to set a schedule for the final inspection and negotiations. The company's lawyer could not make it today, but we are hopeful he will be able to in the next week or two."

Mr. Obolensky nods and leans back in his chair. He says something to Harley, and she listens intently for a moment before repeating it to me.

"He says that Mr. Catalano's inability to travel yet is understandable. That's why he is here instead of the board members. He says they were unable to make it to the hotel with the bad weather." She listens again. "However, they've sent him with a detailed purchase agreement for you to look over while final preparations are being made."

"That's great," I say.

Mr. Obolensky's phone goes off, and he answers it. When he hangs up, he gathers his papers and says something to Harley.

"He has something else he must deal with at the moment, but he'll leave the purchase agreement with us for you to look over before we meet with him again."

Mr. Obolensky stands up and hands me a small stapled stack of papers before shaking my hand once more and leaving the room.

I look over the purchase agreement and make note of the financial statement stapled at the back of it.

"So what kind of property is this, anyway? You seem awfully hell-bent on closing this deal. I heard one of the board members say it's a last ditch effort to save the company." Harley picks at her elbow to avoid making eye contact with me.

Closing the stack of papers, I sigh. Why on Earth were they talking about this within earshot of regular employees? Harley might have to be there for some important meetings, but information about the company's finances should be kept to a separate conversation.

"It's an apartment complex. It's not the best the Lukov Real Estate company has to offer, but we're hopeful that getting our hands on it will give us the chance to upgrade it to make it better for the residents there. Right now, the building is half empty, and I was told Lukov and his board members just want to get rid of it."

I tap my pen against the paper as I skim over it, underlining anything important so I can send a scanned copy to Marco. "The problem is, we still have to be careful. Lukov is known for being greedy so he can change his mind at any point in time. If that happens, this is all over and I'll have to find something else. There's nothing to worry about, though."

I can't tell her that if we lose this deal, she might lose her job. She's an employee, and as much as I want to tell her, it's not in her job description to know the small details. It would cause a panic if she let something slip to another employee.

"Hm." She chews on her lip and pulls out her phone. "It's three-thirty now. Should we stay here or wait for Mr. Obolensky to come back?"

I scribble a small note about the utility expenses before responding. "We can wait a little longer. If he's not back by four or we haven't heard from him, you're free to go until I need you again."

Marco is who I should be talking to right now, but I'm not sure if he's busy so I can't just call him. That would annoy him more than the fact that I got control of the company instead of him.

Clearing my throat, I return my attention to the finance page of the purchase agreement. I suck in a breath as I find a less than favorable cost estimate for a plumbing repair in one of the apartments. If it's this bad there, it could be worse in other places. But it won't take much to fix some aesthetic things to make the rooms seem a little more desirable.

I twirl my pen between my fingers as I read. I know a lot about business and financial figures from business school, but I'm also smart enough to know when I'm in over my head. My phone lights up, and I hope it's Marco updating me on his current location, but no such luck.

When the door to the conference room opens, I look up. Mr. Obolensky walks in, and I stand up, but as soon as I see his face, I immediately know something is wrong and frown.

As he hangs up and shoves his phone into his back pocket, he shakes his head, and I immediately know it's all over.