03

Harley's POV

"Stop fidgeting and relax," Danny says.

"I am relaxed."

Danny swats my hand away as I reach up to adjust the neckline of my dress. "If you keep trying to adjust that, then all the guys are going to think you're a prude."

"I'm not a prude," I say defensively, lifting my shoulders a little to shift my dress. "And I'm not worried about what guys think. After yesterday, I think I'm okay without a guy for a while."

Danny crosses her arms and cocks an eyebrow at me.

I sigh and pull the dress back down a little. A store window makes a makeshift mirror as I run my hands through my hair to smooth it.

"Why are you so nervous?" Danny cocks her head to the side as she looks at me, then something seems to click in her mind. Her eyes go wide and she grabs my shoulders, jerking me back and forth. "You're afraid that Italian guy is gonna be here!"

At this point, we've reached the street adjacent to the club and I can already hear the music pouring through the doors. How can anyone live this close to this place? They have to get noise complaints.

"I'm not afraid of him being here, I just don't want to embarrass myself if I get drunk. His name is Jonah, by the way, and he was one of the people interviewing me today. What if I lose the job because of something I end up doing tonight?"

"Lee, you've already got the job. I doubt he's gonna fire you for having fun before anyone knows who you are." She pulls out her ID and hands it to the usher as I do the same. "Plus, if he's hot, maybe you can hook up with him and he won't bother saying anything."

I slap her arm. "Not funny, Danny."

"You guys are good to go," the usher says as he lets us pass him. "Enjoy your night."

"It's Olivia's birthday and you owe it to her. You were so busy with your last few classes that you haven't had a decent conversation with her in a while."

As Danny and I enter the club, Danny grabs my hand and leads me through the crowd until we reach a corner our other friends are sitting in.

Olivia stands up and pulls me in for a hug. "You guys look so hot, it's unfair."

"You literally look like a goddess. Red hair suits you," I say, picking up a curled tendril from her shoulder. "Happy birthday."

She grins. "Thank you. And thanks for coming! I feel like it's been forever!" She hands me a mixed drink. "Here, try this."

I take a careful sip of the drink and look over Olivia's shoulder to wave at Charlotte and her boyfriend, Alex. "Hi, you guys."

"Now that everyone's here, let's go dance!" Olivia pulls me toward the crowd of dancing people and I reach back to grab Danny's hand but miss.

"You'll be fine!" she calls behind me.

I can already tell Olivia is drunk, because as we begin dancing, I become her impromptu partner, and she dances with her back to me, almost grinding against me. I don't mind though, as it reminds me of my early college days, back when I didn't care if my grades suffered at the expense of fun. This was what we did, because this was what got the guys.

Once I polish off the drink Olivia gave me, my body moves of its own accord, as if dancing to the music is just muscle memory at this point.

After a few songs, I break away and shove my way up to the bar, legs feeling like jelly. God, it's been forever. I feel so out of shape.