glossary

Ardu: ancient, red-barked trees. Rumored to be the tallest trees in all realms. Sometimes referred to as titans or immortals. Black leaves possess unknown magical properties. Native to the dark forests of Ardua.

Ardua: mountain realm home to the majority of the giant population.

Cloudpiercer: tallest peak in Ardua.

Complex healing elixir: advanced healing potion used to treat the aftereffects of most dangerous poisons. The lighter the color, the better the quality and therefore the effects.

Crescetra: also known as growing rock potion. Compressed alchemical bonds of crystallite and sandstone are highly reactive to air. Once exposed, expands rapidly, latching onto any surface and encasing it in a gooey substance for a couple of minutes until it solidifies into a solid layer of stone. Use with care. May cause allergic reactions to skin.

Darken Draught: pitch-black potion with magical properties. Plunges even the most well-lit room into impenetrable darkness for up to three minutes. Works best in enclosed spaces. Highly reactive to oxygen. Must be kept in airtight vials to ensure potency.

Dew fruit: nutritious indigo-colored pear-like fruit with a hard, nearly impenetrable peel that grows on tall, black-leaved bushes. Often used to make sweet dew juice and dew drops. Due to its naturally low temperature, it is usually covered in water droplets no matter the time of day. Native to the lowlands of Silvarden.

Dew drops: hard candies. Dark candies are sweet, light ones sour.

Ebrius: pale mushroom with psychoactive properties. Found underground between tree roots. Native to Ardua. Usually dried and ground into dust. Caution: half a teaspoon is enough to knock out a full-grown bear shifter.

Flumerra: riverlands realm home to the majority of the naiad population and numerous refuge shifters.

Furnace Peak: highest mountain in Infernis. East side collapsed centuries ago, giving way to molten rock and the ever burning blue fire within the core. Temperatures at the base of the mountain measured at around 2000° F (~1000° C), while temperatures within the opening are estimated to reach 10000° F (~5500° C).

Glimmerweald: forest in the southern most region of Silvarden. The vegetation is said to buzz with energy. Leaves of the everblue trees even shimmer at night.

Hanaberry: bright pink fruit the size of a marble that grows on sparse, blue-leaves shrubs. Native to the vast forests of Silvarden. Its naturally sweet taste makes it perfect for tea. 

Infernis: underworld realm home to the majority of the demon population.

Ketea: prehistoric, shark-like creature. Rumored to be the first shapeshifter. Legend has it, she disappeared once the oceans retreated from the lands of Vespyrea, but not without leaving a trail of death and destruction behind.

Liquid Ice: clear blue potion. Highly reactive to oxygen. Freezes everything it touches. Caution: guaranteed to cause cold burn, and, in severe cases, frostbite.

Lux crystal: magical rock that emits a steady glow. The more brilliant, the better the quality. Caution: staring directly into a lux crystal for long periods may cause extensive retinal damage. Known colors are (listed from most common to least common): blue, yellow, orange, purple, violet, teal, and iridescent. Naturally found within the mines of the sedimentary mountains of Ardua.

Others: term used by most humans to refer to supernatural beings.

Pandaemonium: capital (and only) city of Infernis.

Portal crystal: iridescent glittering rock that possesses volatile magical properties. Multiple crystals can be attuned (with precision) to create functional magical gateways.

Potion of Focused Atonia: induces sleep paralysis.

Pyrarcis: underground prison deep below the city of Pandaemonium. Formerly a solely a demon prison, but since the union of the realms, particularly dangerous beings of other races reside in Pyrarcis too.

Rhunak: capital city of Ardua.

Sensor crystal: magical rock that glows white in the presence of different energy and/or substances. Known sensor crystals are heat, sound (vibrations), wind (air currents), and water. Naturally found within the mines of the high peaks of Ardua.

Sentinel: large, humanoid stone creature. Acts as neutral portal guardian, only obeying the command of the high ambassadors. Attacks without warning in case of any unauthorized portal use or portal violation of any kind. Approach with caution: sentinel attacks are known to be swift, ruthless, and brutal.

Silvarden: forest realm home to the majority of the seelie, dryad, and fae population.

Solar flare: chemically advanced pyrotechnic that produces blinding sunlight and heat. Can be modified to unleash electrical currents. Caution: can cause partial blindness. Handle with care and avoid direct eye contact.

Soporis: also known as sleep of death. Most potent anesthetic known. Available in powder and liquid form. Obtained from the pollen of the black risolis flower. Handle with care! The tiniest amount of soporis will cause poisoning and loss of consciousness. Fatal if left untreated.

Sweet dew juice: indigo-colored soft drink made from dew fruits.

Vanguard: paramilitary group of humans who are openly against peaceful relations with the supernatural realms and their inhabitants. Members get a jagged bullet inside a maroon triangle tattoo upon initiation.

Vedia: capital city of Silvarden.

Vespyrea: lost twilight realm, formerly home to the majority of the shapeshifter population.

Vynari: ruthless wasteland guard of Infernis. Enormous wolf-like creature with eyes the color of burning embers, claws made of volcanic glass, a panther-like tail with an additional claw, and ashen fur that reeks of the sulfur pits of Infernis. Uses its sensitive nose to navigate and easily pick up foreign scents. Thanks to its lean, almost bony limbs, and impressive size, it can reach speeds up to 120 mph. Answers only to the High Council of Pandaemonium and demonic knights. Approach with care! Usually kept on a strict, high-protein diet, it loves to indulge in questionable snacks whenever the opportunity arises.

Wakewalking Elixir: deep purple potion with magical properties. Sends the drinker into an immediate lucid dream. Tends to entice the drinker with their favorite smells. Consume with care! Frequent and long lucid dreams may cause disrupted REM sleep, confusion, exhaustion, and hallucinations.

Water rua: blue-leaved flower with a white stem. Known for its potent healing properties and distinct blue coloring effects. Native to the rivers of Flumerra.

The glossary will be expanded as the story goes along.