3 | intruder alarm

"Gray, not blue," I breathed, staring at the mess in front of me. Having to re-sort my damn alchemy books again was starting to irritate me on a whole different level. This was the third time. Fourth, if you counted this last misplaced tome, which I didn't because my hand was still touching it. It technically wasn't on the shelf yet. Not that it mattered.

The heavy paperback fell into my lap and I closed my eyes. It was that stupid elevator incident. I just couldn't get it out of my head. If that fae hadn't gotten off in time, she would have likely plummeted to her death. Or it could have been me earlier today.

Bad luck was one thing, but this? Deathtrap or not, elevators didn't malfunction just like that, but that was the only logical explanation. So, why was I overthinking this? I should just be happy I'd trusted my gut and move on with my life.

Okay, maybe it wasn't so my gut, but rather me being a scaredy-cat. Same difference. Fear was a natural instinct. Fear saved lives. Nothing wrong with that.

Satisfied, I placed my copy of Advanced Enhancing Elixirs in the correct spot and leaned back to admire the beautifully organized—by color, of course—shelf. Thanks to Jaydis, who'd moved his vast collection of—mostly—herbology and biology textbooks to one half, all of mine fit perfectly. There was even space for a few extras from the library.

Admittedly, the dorm wasn't too shabby. Apart from the whole supernatural roommate situation anyway. The room was huge. Each of us having separate sections helped. With the beds placed against the outer walls and small desks facing into the room, we all had plenty of space. Thanks to three additional walls that protruded just far enough to provide nice little nooks, we even had a little privacy.

Okay, fine. I kind of liked it here. Sue me.

Well, except for—

"Aww, she has a nightlight."

...Haze.

"Don't tell me you're afraid of the dark?" he asked, eyeing the brightly glowing crystal construct on my desk. Much to my relief, he'd put on the minimum amount of actual clothes—low-hanging sweatpants and a loose tank. No socks though, as if that would have taken too much effort.

"It's my personal intruder alarm," I said dryly.

Haze's crimson gaze drifted to me. He opened his mouth to speak, but Jaydis beat him to it. "Is that a sensor crystal?" he asked, coming to stand next to the shelf to get a closer look.

The crystal's violet light brightened due to the additional presence. I nodded. "Heat sensor combined with lux crystal."

He reached for the radiating rocks but stopped short. "May I see it?"

"Sure."

While he examined it, Kenas joined us. His size still took me by surprise and that probably wasn't going to change anytime soon. He was just...huge. And he was only a half-giant. Dad had once told me that the average giant was a solid twelve feet tall. I'd never met any, but imagine sharing a room with one of them. They'd have to build a whole new building.

Crossing his arms in front of his chest, Kenas studied my self-made nightlight. "Is that...violet?" he asked, eyebrows raised.

"Yeah." I still remembered the night Dad had brought it home all those years ago. He'd sat at the foot of my bed for a full fifteen minutes, telling me about the high peaks of Ardua and the mines deep within the mountains. Then he'd put the glowing rock on my nightstand and tucked me in for the last time.

I clenched my jaw. No more reminiscing. He didn't care, so why should I? As long as I showed up for monthly visits and updated him on all things academics, everything was fine and dandy for him. Speaking of visits, if I didn't get moving soon, I'd be late and if there was one thing Dad didn't tolerate it was tardiness.