five

"You sure you don't want to join us? Alana said we can have an extra half an hour if we bring her back something good," Milo said with a grin, hanging by the door with Zed at his side

I gave him a small smile, shaking my head. "I'll probably grab something later. I just wanna get this set of armour done first."

And also wallow in self-pity, but they didn't need to know that.

"Suit yourself," Zed said with a shrug before hitting Milo on the arm. "Come on, I wanna get there before all the fried potatoes are gone."

The two of them left the room to go on their lunch break whilst I held the fort down back here, not too hungry nor looking to have company right now. Ever since last night, when I made a complete and utter fool of myself in front of the Commander, it was safe to say that I was mortified with my actions.

I couldn't stop replaying it in my head, hitting myself for leaning in in the first place. Why couldn't I have just given her the sword and left?

Because I liked her, that's why. I knew I did. There was no other explanation for the pleasant nerves she gave me whenever she was around, or the fact that I only ever wanted to be around her. Now I'd ruined it. Though, what hurt most was her reaction... it couldn't happen? We couldn't happen? Why not? Was I that bad?

Trying to push the repetitive thoughts that had been circling my head since last night, I focused on polishing the armour I'd made thus far, ensuring it was sparkling clean and I could see my sulking face in it.

Not long after Milo and Zed left for lunch, there was a knock on the open door and I glanced over my shoulder, only to lose all focus when I saw who it was.

"Hey," Lexa said softly, bright eyes meeting mine across the room.

I swallowed hard, looking away from her and back to the task at hand. I didn't know what to say, so I stayed quiet, stupidly hoping she would leave. When I heard the door close, I wondered if my wish had come true. But then I heard her footsteps approaching me and sighed inwardly.

"Y/N, I...," she started, stopping beside me, before releasing a sharp breath. "I didn't mean to upset you last night."

She was standing close and I hated that my heart was doing that stupid thing where it was beating much faster than usual.

"I'm a big girl, I can deal with it," I said dismissively, continuing to shine the armour.

"I care about you," she said, and I resisted the urge to roll my eyes.

"Uh-huh."

Why was she here? She'd made her intentions clear last night. Now, I just wanted to forget about it.

"Y/N, please."

"I'm working," was all I could say without giving away how hurt I was.

Suddenly, she grabbed the cloth from my hand, stopping me from polishing. When I looked up to argue, she threw it to the side and grabbed my face, kissing me. I was stunned, skin burning where her fingers touched me, and I didn't have chance to react because she pulled away and met my eyes with determined yet saddened ones.