seven

I hated that I couldn't stop thinking about Lexa's fight

For the rest of the day, I was simply expected to go about work as normal, but I couldn't. Word spread about the fight in no time and my colleagues already seemed to know by the time I returned later that afternoon. It was the talk of the town, understandably, though this didn't help with my imagination running wild.

Lexa was very much capable, I knew this, but it didn't change my concern. And I couldn't simply sit by and do nothing. So, after work, I stayed back, deciding to be of use somehow and keep busy.

She wouldn't even need it – she had her own armour and weaponry back at the Tower. But the thought of going home and pretending like everything was okay, waiting for the fight to happen, was making me uneasy. I needed to do something. So, I decided to make her a chest plate. I would have made her a whole damn protective armour if I had the time, but I didn't, so a chest plate would have to do.

I put care into it, as I always did, knowing Lexa's measurements already and working off some designs I'd stashed away in passing. It was enough to distract me from tomorrow, but the concern was still lingering at the back of my mind.

Most of the night I was up making it, hoping it would keep her safe. Nothing too heavy – I didn't want to slow her down, not against someone as big as Roan. But it had to protect her, better than her other armour could.

The last thing I meant to happen was to fall asleep part of the way through it. I feared I'd missed the fight altogether when Milo was shaking me awake the next morning.

"What...?" I mumbled, not hearing him as I wiped away some drool and blinked tiredly.

"I said are you coming to the fight? You should have gone home last night, Y/N."

After a moment, when his words digested, I widened my eyes and sat up quickly. Looking around, I realised I'd dozed off on my workbench. Luckily, the chest plate was hanging on a mannequin opposite me, but it was only partially complete.

"Alana is shutting the store for the day," Milo explained slowly, figuring he must have startled me. "Most of the city is. All to watch the fight. You coming?"

"What time is it? Have I missed it?" I asked worriedly, standing up and stifling a yawn.

"Just past ten," he answered with confusion. "Still got another hour. I just came to get my bag that I left yesterday. Y/N, what are you doing? You and your dad fight or something? You never stay here."

Only half paying attention, I went to the chest plate and tried to remember where I was up to. "I'm fine, just working on something."