six

Dinner with Lexa and my father couldn't have gone any better

Dinner with Lexa and my father couldn't have gone any better. Once Lexa's nerves fell away, everything was smooth sailing and I was certain this was what the perfect scene looked like; the people I cared about most getting along, even if majority of the jokes were at my expense.

My dad talked about his work and Lexa wanted to know everything out of genuine interest. I spoke about my own work – commissions, tattoos and all. Lexa and I were asked about our relationship, but nothing too personal which I was glad for because my dad knew Lexa valued her privacy. All in all, it was better than I could have imagined, and I never wanted it to end. But it was getting late, and Lexa had to ride back to Polis.

"It was my pleasure to host you again, Lexa," my dad said when we walked Lexa to the front door. "Especially considering the state of my health and the unexpectedness of it all last time."

"I'm honoured to be here," she said, nodding curtly. "And thank you for inviting me."

He smiled, before glancing between us both thoughtfully. After a moment, he said to Lexa, "Take care of her for me, please. She's capable, but careless sometimes."

I groaned quietly, embarrassed at his typical fatherly comments, but Lexa didn't seem to mind as she nodded with understanding.

"I will," she promised.

"And don't let this be the last I see of you," he settled. "Heda aside... I quite enjoy having you around."

She nodded, smiling, and he bowed respectfully before giving us some space to say our goodbyes. I guided Lexa outside, stopping at the door to see how she was feeling. And just like that, she let out a slow breath of relief.

"You did great tonight," I told her appreciatively. "Thank you for making so much effort."

"I haven't felt that nervous since Conclave," she admitted, making me laugh at how serious she was.

"You were wonderful," I reassured her. "And it meant a lot to me, you being here tonight."

"I know." She met my eyes. "He's your father and this was important. That's why I couldn't chance it."

I smiled, feeling a warmth in my chest at the way she was looking at me.

"Thank you for inviting me," she added, though she didn't need to.

"You're welcome anytime," I played along, but meant it.

She smiled, and I pulled her in for a hug, letting myself revel in her warmth for a moment. Her arms wrapped around my waist and I didn't want to be anywhere but here right now.

When I pulled apart, I kissed her cheek softly. "Goodnight, Lexa. Get home safe."

She nodded, pausing as she got distracted by something on my face. Her eyes looked between my eyes, roamed my face as if she was seeing the stars for the first time. It was strange, since I was certain there was nothing special for her to admire. And then a soft smile appeared on her lips and she met my eyes again.