epilogue

The last few days had been hectic at work, with commissions coming in left, right and centre, leaving me exhausted at the end of it all

The last few days had been hectic at work, with commissions coming in left, right and centre, leaving me exhausted at the end of it all. On top of that, I was fitting in clients for tattoos afterwards, so by the time I returned home, I was too tired to eat sometimes. I loved it though, just needed to manage my time better.

That's why when I remembered to book some half days in with Alana, I was relieved to enjoy a leisurely horse ride back to my village in the afternoon. It had been a while since I'd spent time with my dad that wasn't at dinner time, so we'd promised to spend the rest of the day together.

When I entered through the archway, I dismounted my horse, Florence, and walked her the rest of the way to my house. Any excitement I held for the day was immediately replaced with concern when I spotted my father on the ground outside our front door.

"Oh my God, dad!" I shouted, racing up to him and kneeling down. "What the hell happened? Who did this?!"

He was tied up, wrists and ankles bound along with a gag in his mouth. Fear and worry spread through me when he looked up and I saw the bruises on his face. Looking around quickly, I saw nobody was around, not even neighbours. Where the hell was everybody?! Who had done this?!

I pulled out his gag and moved onto his bound wrists next, but he was trying to speak.

"Stop," he muttered harshly, voice strained with pain. "Y/N, stop it, it's–"

Before he could finish, an arrow zoomed past my ear, making me jump. My eyes widened, but I never got chance to even think about moving because another one followed shortly after, landing right in my shoulder. I let out a scream as it stuck into me, then came a battle cry in the distance.

"It's an ambush," my dad warned with teary eyes, shaking his head. "They don't care about me, you need to run!"

"I'm not leaving you!" I told him, before attempting to help him up and into the house, but he was too heavy and I couldn't move him alone.

"Y/N!" he insisted, but I ignored him and turned around to face my attackers.

Despite the arrow still stuck in my shoulder, I was able to pull out my knife and attempt to defend my father and I. Looking around, I couldn't find the hunters who were shooting at us, but it didn't matter because a small group of people revealed themselves and I recognised them as Azgeda from their clothes.

Azgeda were part of the coalition now, ever since Roan had pledged his allegiance over a year ago. Why were they attacking? And why me?

"It's cute that you think you can win with that," one of them said with a sly chuckle, referring to my knife.

I swallowed hard, not giving him the benefit of the doubt, and held my ground. I still wasn't the best fighter, even with all of the extra lessons Lexa had forced me to take, but I was determined to hold my own if it meant keeping my father safe.