Prologue - ...And we exhale and roll our eyes in unison

"Mark this really doesn't seem like a good idea." Y/N stated as they closed the program and pulled the flash-drive from its socket. They turned around in their office chair with a worried expression in contrast to their friend's excitement. "Who's better to test a new program than the first model we've made?"

"Are you sure you want to give your phone such a high level of intelligence?" Y/N furrowed their brow in disapproval. "Yes, even Pal likes the idea, Pal do you like this idea?" Mark asked the non sentient phone "Yes!" It said robotically, and Y/N laughed. "Ok you convinced me, here you go." They handed the flash drive to him and he plugged it in, an updating screen turned on then a white screen then a blue screen. Mark and Y/N both sighed and rolled their eyes "sorry the model may be too old, lets try it on some of the new phones." They said but then the screen turned on as the drive was removed.

Mark propped it back up on a stand so they could both see, the screen was on his wallpaper (set to default of course). They exchanged a glance then looked back at it "Um.. Pal?" Y/N spoke to the hardware as the familiar blue screen and white face showed up. "What can i help with?" Pal said with much more emotion and emphasis in her voice. Her face rather than staying in the middle and speaking, moved around a bit to express herself further.
She almost seemed human, in a way. Of course that was the goal of her research, developing advanced human level intelligence A.Is for assisting in difficult tasks. Or replacing workers in dangerous field's.
And after all those tireless months, after almost a entire year, her work may be paid off finally. Or she would have to scurry back into development and continue her routine of sleepless nights and the constant stench of caffeine.

"Pal.. how do you feel?" Y/N asked hesitantly and they looked like they were thinking for a second. "I feel great, what can i help with!"
"Are you just saying that because your coded to or do you actually truly feel great." Y/N said and rolled forward closer to them. "I think i do feel great." She responded and seemed to do a nodding motion. They joyfully smiled and rolled back.

"Wow, we are going to make so much money off of this." Mark said and took a step back. "What?" Y/N looked up "no we were doing this to help people, money was just going to be a byproduct?" Y/N reminded him and he snorted "forget about that, think about it. Slap a patent on this technology and we can sell improved smartphones, emphasis on the smart!"

Y/N looked up at him becoming irritated "you did not make this, i did. I have full rights to deny you selling rights."
"But you are still technically below me in the corporate scale and that means your work does belong to me so, oh well!" Mark said and took the phone "im not going to give you the software." Y/N stood up, and Mark looked at his phone. " you already did!"
"But-!" He slammed the door behind him leaving them alone in their office.