1.1 - Cease and Desist!

Y/N sat in their office in front of a laptop with very low idea of what to do. They finished their work an hour ago and Coolmath games was beginning to become boring.

They still had 30 minutes until the pal max announcement, which felt like hours. But that was probably a good thing, it hadn't started yet they didn't want to be up there representing this company. "Y/N you have 1 new message!" The ai spoke from their laptop which spooked them out of their zone out. They leaned forward and the swivel chair rolled forward. They pressed the space bar and the notification popped up in the corner.
It was.. ugh, it was Mark, they pressed it and opened the messages.
Mark
'Where are you?'

Y/n
'In my office, do i need to head over?'

Mark
'Yes! Hurry up!'

They closed the laptop and put it in their cross body bag. They turned the light off and closed the door. Walking through the bland white shiny halls. Then at the end of a hallway, they entered the elevator and stood in front of the buttons but stopped.
Button 2 would take them to the stage, but button 1 would take them to the parking lot. Did they even want to go,? No.. Not really but they had to face the music anyway.

The second button lit up as they pressed it, the elevator began to move, they checked their watch. 19 minutes left, already somehow? The door opened and they walked among the busy backstage employees, the two display Pal max robots were standing idly by. They noticed Mark but they also noticed his phone sitting on a chair nearby, years of research and trade secrets out in the open like that. They walked over and picked the phone up, Mark still didn't notice.
"How can i help?" Pal asked "no I'm fine thank you, just upset that Mark is leaving valuable equipment and information out in the open. Does he usually do this Pal?" They asked and Pal looked up at him and said "yes." She didn't seem bothered by the fact that her "life" could be ended if someone just decided they wanted to take out some violent tendencies on a random phone.

"I don't know how I'm not surprised." Y/N said and rolled their eyes "do you.. not like Mark?" Pal asked with confusion "Oh i mean, he's fine he's just insufferable sometimes. Im sure you know what i mean."
"Y/N you made it!" Mark approached them and noticed his phone. "Oh, i was looking for that!" He took the phone, briefly checked the time and put it in his pocket. "Only five minutes before the show, time really flies!"
"Mark you had your phone out in-" Y/N was interrupted, "You know the Pal max bots are equipped with multitasking functions beyond human ability?"
Did he realize that they were in charge of researching and ideating that? "Thats cool but that information will go to waste if someone hacks into your phone which st-" Y/N was interrupted yet again "I'll go ahead and head up there, ill give you the cue for your portion of the show! So be watching!" He said and excitedly walked off.

Y/N could barely even get a word in, yet they played such a large role in this corporation. But Mark did invent the models and hardware, and Y/N, they made the software so maybe he had a right.
They leaned against the walls and saw the two pal max bots being ushered up onto a platform and read lines. Y/N couldn't believe that this was how their hard work was being used. The endless search for money really changes things.
"(Mx/ms/mr). L/N?" Someone said "we need you to stand over here so you're ready to head onto stage." Y/N followed them to the side of the stage, just out of view of the crowd out there but able to hear their cues and observe.

Mark jumped onto stage and the crowd started cheering. He slowed down and begun walking to the middle of the stage while talking " At Pal Labs we're all about connecting you to the people you love, whether its in your home, your car,"
The car rolled up and a premade greeting played.
"Or your pocket. Thats why we created Pal, the worlds first smart personal assistant. We wanted her to be a new member of your family, a smart one!" Mark joked and then Pal said something "ill always be there for you Mark!"
"Thanks Pal." Mark said and the crowd awed at the kind words. "That was nice, i guess." Y/N thought, the crowd seemed to like it.

"And after all these years, she is completely obsolete! Boom!" He yelled and threw the phone, Y/N couldn't watch as the very sentient phone slid across the smooth stage. They turned to a stage hand "is this part of the show?" "Yes, why?"
"You don't see a issue with this?" Y/N asked as the Pal max robots came on stage for their presentation. The other person shrugged and walked off, they watched the presentation go on, the robots truly did everything. Clean, dance, make food, everything they were built for. But Pal was improved to help control these things from far away, like a controller to a tv or a switch to a light. While they responded to commands verbally the audio system was very delicate.

"Now i know what your wondering, are they gonna turn evil? Well I've ensured their safety with a kill code, in case anything goes wrong." Mark continued on, walking in front of the robots and facing to the crowd with a happy face.
Y/N heard a small crash from behind the stage, they walked down the steps and looked to see pal max robots taking stagehands away to some where else.

They cautiously stepped to one of the bots "whats going on?" They turned their head and their body followed, "we are capturing you!"
"What!" Y/N yelled and turned to run but was detained with a pink and blue carrying beam. They couldn't move as they were carried away with no way to yell for help.