Chapter 4

Lizzy

As I made my way around the deck I watch people as they enjoyed their time aboard the ship, most of these people won't return to England I suspect moving to America in search of new opportunities and new lives.

I took a seat on one of the benches near the side of the boat looking out at the horizon. I believe the Irish man from earlier quite likes me, I quite like the look of him too, however I'm going to make him work for it. I feel a presence beside me turning to see a small girl with a head of brown waves already looking at me.

"You're very beautiful miss"
I smile at her "why thank you I could say the same about you l, your hairs so pretty I with mine would be like that"
She giggled a bit before continuing "what's your name?"
"I'm Elizabeth but my friends call me Lizzy. what's yous?"
"My names Cora"
"It suits you well"

I continue to sit with Cora as she excitedly tells me about her time on the ship so far, her life in England and what she plans to do once we dock in New York.

I notice Cora is shivering slightly so I unwrap my shawl from around my shoulders, it has delicate stitching and a line of fur on the inside. I wrapped it around her but because she was so small it looked more like a blanket.

"Thank you Elizabeth, this is the prettiest scarf I've ever see" she says as she runs her finger over the embroidery following the pattern.
"Well technically is a shawl, you could keep it if you'd like I have many, just maybe don't wear it around the ship they'll think you a thief not my friend"
She launches her self into my with a hug taking me by surprise before I reciprocate it. I smile at how happy she was, what is the point of having money if you can't use it to make people happy? I know a lot of the first class passengers would disagree with my logic but that's not important to me.

"Can I try you hat on?" She asks, I not removing it and placing it on her head, altering the positioning so it was perfect.
"I bet anyone would mistake you for 1st class now, however I'm afraid you can not keep this one as I borrowed it from my aunt."

I then heard the trumpet announcing it was time to get ready for dinner, if I'm late my aunt would kill me so I started to stand up.
"I must go now lady Cora" she laughed handing back the hat which I placed gently on my head.
"Miss Elizabeth you should come to the party later"
My smile faltered a little at the thought of the consequences which would be inescapable on this ship particularly when my aunt insists on surrounding herself with the company of Ruth dewitt bukater and cal hockley.
"I'll try my best but if I don't please don't be upset"
I walked away as she wandered off to find her father. On my way back to the first class promenade I passed by the Hanson Irish man from early who tipped his hat as I passed.