Chapter Fifteen

MATIAS' POV

The once peaceful village crumbled as it was engulfed in flames. Helpless screams and burning flesh occupied my senses, I watched before my eyes as the lives of men, women and children met a wicked end.

I awoke from my nightmare with a profound gasp, I looked around my room frantically before finally calming down. I was soaked in sweat from head to toe, and even though I had eased up a bit my chest still heaved rapidly.

"Not again" I muttered weakly to myself before I sat up. I felt Pascal tussle in the sheets next to me, I had probably disturbed his sleep. He frowned and asked "What?", confused and still half asleep. "Nothing" I replied as I bent down to kiss his forehead, he fell asleep right away.

It had been ages since I had been haunted by that familiar nightmare, their resurgence was definitely not a good sign, but I had to carry on as usual. I searched for my clothes and put them on before heading downstairs. I sighed as I reached our dining room, having your office and home in the same building could be tricky sometimes, our dining room was littered with paperwork. I made myself a cup of tea before starting off my day with a fresh batch of paperwork to sign, by far the most uninteresting part of my work.

About half an hour had passed and Pascal finally emerged from the bedroom. He appeared in the doorframe wearing my shirt, the velvet fabric hung loosely over his small body, it earned a chuckle from me. I noticed he held an envelope in his hand as he approached me.

"Good morning"
"Good morning"
"This came for us" he said as he handed me the ivory white envelope, I straightened as I saw the green royal seal pasted on it. Pascal sat in my lap and I handed him the letter to read.

He cleared his throat, "Dear Sheriffs Emiliano Matias and Pascal Edgar. You are cordially invited to the royal soiree that is to be hosted at the palace this Saturday. It is in celebration of our victory over the kingdom of Pulvador. The war is over! Glory be to Bravenik!"

"Saturday , that's tomorrow right?" I asked, he nodded.
"So, are you coming?"
"I don't think so"
I cocked an eyebrow, "Why not?"
"Not so sure I want to spend an entire evening hearing men talking about fighting"
"Fair enough. Guess you'll have to call in sick"

And so the next evening came and I got dressed in my best before leaving for the soiree. I arrived at the palace gates in a carriage and I could already hear music playing loudly from within the palace walls. I was escorted by some royal guards to the entrance, and the second those huge wooden doors swung open, I was transported into another world.

Serene music, elaborately constructed dishes, wine, gold studded walls, I was used to luxury but this far exceeded mere luxury. Nobles in delicate dresses dined, danced and discussed. I spotted the King and his men at a corner, all in a serious conversation. None of this could faze me though, I navigated parties like this with ease. I picked up a glass of wine and took a much needed sip as I absent mindedly explored the room.

Men and women in the centre of the ballroom soon began an elegant waltz. I thought to myself that with everything that had been going on, a little dancing might have helped get my mind off it, so I stepped forward to join in. Without looking, I strutted forward and bumped right into someone.
"Shit!" I cursed as my wine spilled all over the man's jacket. I apologized as I immediately pulled out my pocket square and started dabbing the wine stain off his jacket.

"Matias..." The man said in a low, familiar voice. I looked up at him and jerked back with surprise. His tall, muscular frame stood out in the room and his usual stern bearded face was slightly altered by a warm smile.

"Magnus?!" I asked in disbelief but it was undeniably him. His strawberry blonde hair was usually a mess of curls but this particular evening it was neatly slicked back, my face lit up and I lost my composure for a second. It had been years since I had last seen him, my friend for decades now, and by a stroke of luck I had quite literally run into him at the soiree. I had to think of something cocky to say, I couldn't let that idiot have the pleasure of knowing I was actually glad to see him.