Chapter #4

"Hey, Amos!!" It was his sister Louise. Standing at the picnic tables after school where they usually meet, two years older than him, she expertly knew her way around the school campus. Her personality overshadowed his own. Amos still had to scan his friends to figure out who wanted to know Lou's brother, that title in itself signaled a warning, versus who wanted to hang with him.

"You must have done something big," she said. Grinning, she handed him an envelope with a letter. "Camille gave me this to pass on to you. Said something about a multicultural school gathering. Guess she wants you to be her date."

Amos rolled his eyes. "I doubt that."

Nevertheless, he quickly broke through the sealed envelope.

"See, it's just an invitation to contribute to the event."

Lou grabbed it back and looked at it conspicuously.

"Hmm., I wonder.. Why does it ask you to be part of the Cuban food table? Does she think you are... spicy?"

Amos felt his face flush. Quickly, grabbing the note, he murmured something about it being a mistake and made a beeline for the bike trail leading home. This was getting interesting to say the least.

As the siblings were passing through the kitchen to collect dinner, Amos overheard Louise mention to his mom, "Amos is helping with the multicultural celebration!" Amos shot a warning glance to Louise. His mom, who was busy sorting through a pile of workpapers, fortunately didn't notice.

"Well, that's awesome!"

Louise had to throw in the extra remark, "You should ask him all about it. He was invited by the Latin club president, and she's P-R-E-T-T-Y."

Amos' felt his ears and face heat up as he threw a snarl in Louise' direction.

"Well Louise, it looks like Amos is making friends, so I am more than proud. However, sometimes we like our privacy, if you know what I mean," she smiled, winking at Amos. Amos breathed a sigh of relief. Mom, his unknowing hero.

Louise threw a slight pout with her lips and walked out of the room.