Chapter #11

"Cultural food fair day is next Thursday, Amos. Just got the email. Are we making this a family outing?"

Louise gave Amos a huge nudge in the ribs and the combined impact made his Mario Kart character fall completely off the racetrack.

"Louise, look what you did! Rematch necessary!"

"Amos?" his mom looked at him expectantly.

"Um, yeah sure."

"If you need help with a dish, let me know. I can shift my time on Wednesday evening to help out."

"Nope, got it. Juan's friend showed me how to make Fried Bananas."

"Interesting choice for a dish. What group are you in?"

"Latinx club, mom. Decided to expand my horizons."

"Ooo...I love it! You know there is a huge population here. I'm so glad you are learning a culture that is accessible ...."

Amos nodded affirmatively letting his mind trail off in a practiced pattern that happened every time his mom or grandma started in on demographics, population, culture- all heading towards an incoming social justice speech.

"Mom, it's the girl, remember?" Louise remarked just at the point when his mom started lauding the recent Latino vote turnout.

"He likes a girl in the club."

"Oh..."

This time Amos didn't mind his sister's teasing.

His father's parents lived in Hailey, two towns over from his own. They often met up for family gatherings/ holidays, and otherwise the abundance of uncles and aunts plus children meant gatherings were limited to special occasions. Nevertheless, Amos decided to take a chance Friday after school.