|04| I Deny You My Soul

Even though Kaeya had been anticipating this meeting since dawn, he was getting increasingly nervous with every step he took. Usually, he was very outspoken and the best example of a soul of the party, but now all the words seemed to wander in his mind, and each of them got stuck at some point.

It was entirely unlike him, but in desperation, Kaeya tried to form several possible dialogues in his head, but they all led nowhere; Kaeya still needed to decipher Albedo and his character fully, so he was unsure about the content of his response.

What will he say to Albedo once he sees him? He had no idea. He was still determining if he would show up. It's possible he said he'd come so that Kaeya would leave him alone.

Kaeya sighed softly, letting the gentle chill of the night wrap his cheeks tightly like a mist. He left the apartment 20 minutes early to ensure he arrived before Albedo. He was so unbelievably beautiful and fragile that Kaeya feared he'd get hurt if left alone at night. However, it's not like he was safe at home, either.

But Albedo was already there when Kaeya lazily looked up from the old, pockmarked asphalt that was bawling for renovation. It even looked like he had been waiting for quite a while as he took a comfortable position on a small, wooden bench surrounded by the glass at the bus stop; his knees were pulled up tightly to his chest, and he was tucked up in a sweatshirt, as he stared boredly at his phone. His hair was pinned back, but a few unruly strands hung loose, falling over his face and swaying in a gentle breeze. The violet light cast by the display gave depth and accentuated the features of the face, giving him a magical look.

Kaeya stood there like a peg for a moment, unable to take his eyes off him, and it took a few seconds for him to move.

He took a deep breath. He'll be fine as long as he doesn't say anything stupid.

"Who do we have here? Did you miss me so much that you're here way ahead of time?" Kaeya commented teasingly, and Albedo turned his head at the sound of his voice, giving him a gentle smile.

"I don't know if you didn't miss me more since you somehow found me on Instagram; that must've cost you a lot of time and effort." Albedo raised his eyebrows questioningly, and Kaeya's cheeks flushed slightly in embarrassment.

He hoped Albedo wouldn't mention it. 

"What? I don't have the slightest idea of what you're talking about." Kaeya feigned theatrical surprise and sat on the bench next to Albedo, examining every little detail of his appearance, searching for possible signs of violence. He prayed to the Gods that he wouldn't find any.

Albedo squeezed himself into a corner, clearly unsettled. "There you are, acting creepy all of a sudden. Do I have something on my face that you're staring at me so intently?'

Kaeya cleared his throat and immediately looked to the side to avoid putting Albedo in an even more uncomfortable situation. "Sorry. I just wanted to make sure nothing bad happened to you."

Albedo glanced at him, even more confused, and tilted his head slightly to the side, waiting for more explanations.

Kaeya felt a lump slowly rise in his throat. Albedo's gaze pierced his body like thousands of tiny needles and drilled holes in his head. He simply flustered and intimidated him to the point that his heart was about to burst out of his chest.

He swallowed loudly and scratched the back of his neck, signaling his embarrassment. "You know, the first time I saw you, your face was covered in blood. I don't know what else this psycho could be thinking, so I ensured you weren't in danger."

Kaeya breathed a sigh of relief as the corners of Albedo's lips  moved slightly upwards.

"You don't have to worry about me that much; it's not like he loses his temper and is prone to physical abuse on a daily basis."