The Call of Fate

No one ever looked forward to graduation, if someone told you that then they were a liar. The impending call of fate wasn't one many cheered to receive for it meant that they could no longer be a child and childhood was something many always reached back to in their dreams and deepest falls. Ivy Blackheath was one of the ones who glanced over her shoulder at the painting of her future for it was always filled with grey hues. In a few weeks, she was to swear an oath to her princess who she knew as Olga. Not a stranger but not a friend, yet. It was an oath that would be taken in front of the whole school, most of whom she didn't know and didn't really care to know as they'd never seen her as someone other than a warmongering Skrill. But, as she watched crowds scamper away at the sight of them, maybe she wished she had come from Hythnall; they did have beautiful festivals.

"I have no clue how you do it Ivy," Cressida Moore wished that she didn't have to wrestle her way through groups of big-headed boys who carried nothing more than a pebble in their thick skulls to prove that she was more than a dumb rich girl that relied on her daddy's money to get her through life. But it would seem fate called for her to do it for the rest of her days as she was selected to become a Lieutenant Governor in the Skrill Military because of how she excelled in military strategy, combat, and history, though it was probably the first two, she liked to think that history played a part.

"She's not that bad," she pulled Norah back by the shoulder before she rammed into a first year, however weasley they may've been, she would've still been bested, "you just have to get to know her a bit."

She was met with the classic Cressida Moore eye roll. She might've been a sought-out beauty, but that didn't mean she had to be polite to those suitors, they often met the roll of her dark orbs along with a rude hand gesture that probably wouldn't have been allowed if any of the professors's caught her.

"The number of times I've heard you say that hasn't made her personality any more bearable, she's like a wasp causing me severe earache whenever she opens her mouth."

"You've never complained of such constant earaches before, maybe you should come to court with me in order to save your health," she remarked as Cressida pulled them both out of the bustling corridor and towards their etiquette classroom located at the east of the castle.

"Very funny, it's a wonder why you aren't the court's jester."

"I know you two are nervous about being late, but could you spare me a moment of peace at all?" Norah Cliff; what she lacked in height she certainly made up for in brains, earning a scholarship to the school because of her interpretations of the theories of using steam to create machinery that could move without an animal, a peculiar thing that neither Ivy nor Cressida could fathom of wrap their heads around. She was to become a researcher at the University of Abamere located right in the city's intellectual district if that were to be what it was called; the whole district focused on the newest ideas and was the centre of the academic community in Skrill, stimulating the brightest of minds to come up with the next big thing. It was a rare case to go straight to the University out of Lythdom since most had to have written a collection of books or essays presenting their theories, but Norah had struck her luck when she had gotten into a heated debate with a leading researcher there, Doctor Finley, and seemingly impressed the man after all, she was offered a place there.

"Once we actually figure out what we're going to tell Professor Berkamp why we're late you can have your peace," she pulled Cressida back before she rounded the corner into the corridor that led to their classroom, her hair whipping around as she was hurtled back and glared at her, "don't give me that, I know you just want to go in and improvise."

"We're rubbish at acting," Norah stopped her before she could reply, "you remember how that went when we tried to lie about you stealing Estelle's dagger."