Chapter 9

We sit there for a long time.  We don't talk to each other.  We just sit there, comfortable in each other's arms.  I gently unwrap my hands from his neck and place them on each side of his face.  I tilt his head and I tilt mine, our heads connecting in a keldabe kiss.  Tears roll down his cheeks and his shoulders shake.  This moment reminds me of when we were younger.  When Anakin was a Youngling, he often got homesick.  He always told me that everything reminded him of his mom.  Sometimes at night, he would come crying to my room when he had a nightmare.  I would always let him sleep with me, until of course he was older.

                    "We should go," I tell him gently.  Anakin nods his head, stands up and walks to a Turkey's hut.  He returns with a body wrapped in a blanket.  I knew it was Shmi.  The way Anakin looked at her body in his arms, it broke my heart.  I didn't offer to help, I wasn't trying to be rude but I know that Anakin needs some space to mourn.  I sit on my speeder and wait for him to secure Shmi's body in his bike.  He doesn't say anything so I watch the two suns rise over the horizon.  Painting the sky in pretty colors of orange, peach, pink, and a light purple.  The dusk sure makes up for Tatooine's drab surface.  I turn my head when I hear Anakin rev of the engines on his speeder.  I also rev my engines and we speed off, retracing our path.

                           Once we got close to the hut, I saw Beru's run into it, probably warning the others of our arrival.  Padme's rushed out a few seconds later, in a pretty embroidered shawl.  She doesn't say anything when Anakin removes Shmi's body from his speeder bike.  She looks to me for conformation, I nod my head sadly.  Anakin looks at all of us angrily, like we're the ones to blame for his mother's death.  Cliegg hangs his head, I could tell he blames himself.  I could sense so many feelings in each of them.  I followed Anakin into the hut with the others following us.  Cliegg guided Anakin to a room where they could lay her body before they buried her.  I stayed behind with Anakin while the other's left, leaving us the only two in the room.  He stared at his mother's body.

                         "I need to go change, will you be alright?" I asked him.  He stiffly nodded his head and didn't even look at me.  I sighed and kissed him on the cheek.

                         "I'll be right back," I say to him before leaving the room.  I find the room that the Lars' gave me and Padme's to sleep in.  I didn't find her in the room, so I quickly changed into my Jedi robes.  I was happy that I could finally have my lightsabers on my belt, instead of my uncomfortable thigh straps.  I rush back to the room Anakin was in, but I bump into Beru before I get there.

                         "Oh I'm so sorry!" I exlaim, catching the tray she was holding before anything fell off.

                          "It's alright, I was just about to get you and ask you if you could give this tray to Owen's brother.  Owen said he was fixing the shifter." I smile at her and mentally kick myself.  Why hadn't I thought of that? Anakin was hopefully hungry, he hasn't had something to eat in a long time.  I take the tray gratefully and walk as fast as I can to where she was pointing.  I entered the room to find Anakin, just like Beru said he was, fixing the shifter.

                           "I brought you something, are you hungry?" He makes no expression, just stares down at the broken shifter.

                             "The shifter broke," His voice sounds a little hoarse, he had probably been crying before I arrived.

                           "Life seems so much simpler when you're fixing things," He continues on, STILL fixing the shifter.  I set down the food tray on a little side table, I felt like something was going to happen.