Chapter 4: Quaken and Roll

After a brief breakfast, everyone gathered on the flight of stairs mixed with flatforms that led down to the extremely small and simple docks. 

Gobber and Stoick could be heard chatting as they walked side by side down the stairs past the group towards the boat Gobber had taken. The Rumblehorn flew down and landed behind Stoick, a certain curiosity was in the dragons’ eyes as it stood. 

Looking down I saw Stoick mount the Rumblehorn, declaring its name to be ‘Skull Crusher’. 

“How fitting, and Stoick.. -E.” I said, while standing next to the twins. While I was happy for the chief of my village to have such a strong dragon and Stoick to have an important connection. It nudged a sore spot in my heart where a dragon sat in his. 

A sad look must have crossed my face as Stoick flew away, as suddenly I got an eye full of Tuffnut and Ruffnut. 

“Hey, what's up with you?” Tuffnut said, 

“Yea, you look all sad, and mopey”  Ruffnut said. 

“I’m fine, guys it-” I was cut off as Hiccup called up to everyone. 

“All right, guys, we have a lot of work to do!” Hiccup said, as Toothless and the rest of the dragons excitedly ran ahead and up to the arena. 

Everyone walked in a group and Hiccup stopped to address the group as a whole. 

“Okay so, these past few weeks have been a big lesson.” Hiccup started, gesturing to the Edge. It was slightly put together but there were definitely some ‘cracks’. 

“Yeah, we definitely need better defences.” Astrid said, crossing her arms and resting her weight onto her right hip. 

“Exactly, we need to be ready for any wild dragon! or even Dagur, who is still out there. Since the time we arrived here, we haven’t really prepared for any-” Hiccup said, using different encouraging gestures till he was cut off by a cough of someone clearing their throat. 

Pausing he looked at Astrid, who had everyone else's attention as well. She then gestured with her thumb directly behind her to her hut and what sat atop it; a ballista strong enough to take out a dragon or ship with each harpoon. 

“I think he means the entire base, but I know you have enough weapons in that hut to fully arm Berk and maybe the Outcasts.”  I said, giving a light-hearted smile. 

Everyone let out a chuckle but Hiccup was trying to be serious. “Come on guys, we need to get to work! ” He said rationally. “We will need a watchtower, an-” 

“Oh oh oh! We can do that!” Tuffnut said eagerly, raising his hand and waving it excitedly

“Yeah we can! We totally can!” Ruffnut said crossing her arms, 

They both then ran off, leaving Hiccup with his finger up and mouth slightly open in an informing way. 

“Well, uh, now that that's taken care of, Astrid and Snotlout, you both can help out Y/n with building her hut.” 

Astrid folded her arms and smiled in approval, Snotlout gave two thumbs up and smirked.

“I’m going to go work on a project that will make it harder for anyone to sneak up on us, Fishlegs? Are you going to continue studying the dragon eye?” Hiccup said, 

“You bet!”  Fishlegs said, giving one thumbs up. 

Everyone then departed, going their separate ways as the bright sun was nearly level with the tall sea stacks, illuminating everything it touched.