Chapter 7: Deep Dark Dangers and Ingerman

I awoke with a startled yell as a loud slam sounded somewhere outside my hut.

Sitting up suddenly wide eyed, feeling both extremely awake and unbelievably tired at the same time.

The sun didn't squeeze through any cracks in the walls but it did through the second floor boards, making speckles of light flicker as I groaned and stood up. A dull ache emanated throughout my whole body but was centered around a certain spot.

My confused morning head was curious where the little spots of light had come from, so I turned and stared upward, which caused one to shine right in my eye.

I winced and scowled.

Leaving out of the front door, I yawned, stretched, and looked back at my hut as I walked around the side of it.

My hut's main structure was fully built, two stories, basic slope, and an open square window. The window was big enough for a dragon and it faced the cubhouse.

I paused to think for a second, it felt like something was missing.

A second slam made me jump, and I quickly turned to hear that it had come from somewhere up the small cliff behind my hut that helped frame the circular 'edge'.

Confusion fueled me as I walked around behind my hut and to the cliff wall.

Rubbing my hands together I looked up, finding the first spots to grab onto. Reaching forward I pulled myself up and fully onto the wall, climbing upward with each foot and hand hold.

A memory flashed for a second through my mind.

"Go ahead" Astrid said, pointing upward with her ax at a short cliff face that was roughly 3 times my height. At the top was a young pine tree, outward growing , and a few small roots that were exposed.

"Uh, it seems kinda- steep?" I said, very obviously hesitating and taking a step back.

"It'll be fine! I'll catch you if you fall! Just don't look down." She said, shoving me forward.

I stumbled before catching myself and turned to find her with a classic astrid smile. Her hip slightly jutted out with her non dominant hand on it, her other arm rested at her side still holding onto the ax.

Awkwardly I approached the wall and looked back behind me. Astrid gave me an encouraging nod with her head and I turned back to the wall.

Pushing through my nervousness I started climbing before I could overthink for the millionth time. Ever since Astrid asked me to train with her, which was just her teaching me what she already knew, we had grown more comfortable with each other. It was also pretty nice to get to know Astrid aside from her tough outer shell.

She could be pretty friendly in small moments, a small joke, a nice gesture, and sometimes even spending an afternoon together.

I had managed to climb the cliff with no issue, reaching the top with a few words of encouragement from Astrid.

Turning around I twisted my hips to sit on the very grassy ledge. My legs dangled off as my heart rate slowed and I relaxed, enjoying the beauty of looking through the thick pine branches.

After a moment I looked down and noticed Astrid had approached the wall. Gripping her ax in her non-dominant hand she began to climb very skillfully, reaching the top easily. Astrid then swung her ax up and buried it into the cliff edge, right before pulling herself up to sit next to me.

Despite the fact that huge pines blocked the majority of any view, a bold color of orange peaked through. The same color of the burning blaze that had ravaged through the village the previous night.