Questions and Answers

Unfortunately not much goes on in this chapter. I originally had intended for more stuff to happen, but the chapter became too long (especially by Wattpad standards) so some of the eventful stuff will have to be carried over to the next chapter.

—————————————————————————————————————

Questions and Answers

"You foolish boy!" Brom scolded him after they had reconvened with Saphira, a safe distance from Teirm.

"I didn't know they weren't enemies," squawked Eragon.

"And if they were, that doesn't make what you did any less foolish! When encountering possible enemies, one needs to be careful. You need to take stock of the situation, take stock of your opponent, and consider his intentions. The sword should only be drawn as a last resort, when all other options have been exhausted, for you cannot afford to raise the stakes to a matter of life and death every time you meet someone suspicious. And if it got to that point, you should have just cut him down the moment you got your sword out, and not given them a chance to react at all by flaunting Zar'roc and openly declaring your intentions!"

"I understand," Eragon said ashamedly.

"You will stay out here," he told Eragon after berating him for a little longer. "We can't be sure the plague hasn't already touched us, but here in the woods is infinitely safer than in the city. If worse comes to worst, I will have to attempt healing."

"You really can heal it?" Eragon murmured.

"If Saphira offers to share her energy, I probably can," confirmed Brom, eyeing Saphira. She released a puff of hot air from her snout, and Brom ignored the memories that the scene reminded him of. "I will ask Jeod about the shipping records and the situation in the city. We can start planning by nightfall. If possible, try to hunt and forage for food. I had counted on us replenishing our provisions in Teirm, but nothing has gone according to plan today."

"I will hunt," said Eragon.

"Just don't do it close to Teirm. The city is tainted."

"The barbarian I hurt," Eragon began uncertainly, "Was that a barbarian woman?"

"It was," said Brom tersely. Let his son's guilty conscience be a lesson for him.

Eragon looked abashedly to the ground. "So those two barbarians we met aren't behind the plague?" he asked after a while. "Where are the barbarians that did the wicked deed?"

"Why do you think it was barbarians that were behind this, Eragon?" Brom asked.

Eragon looked at him with disbelief. "Because barbarians hate us who live in the Empire. They seek our suffering!"

Brom raised an eyebrow. "And how do you know that?"

"Why is this even a question?" asked Eragon incredulously. "Just look at what they did to Teirm! Is that not proof enough?"

Brom opened his mouth, then closed it again. He realized they were going nowhere with this conversation, and he had places to be. Standing up, he said, "We will discuss this another time. For now, I only ask that you not rush into battle with the first barbarian you see. Being able to avert a threat without bloodshed is a laudable skill, and one you would be wise to pick up."

Eragon nodded. "If I see them, I will wait for them to make their intentions clear."

"Good!" said Brom. "I will be going back now. If the gates have closed and I haven't returned, do not fret. At most, I will be back tomorrow."