Chapter 3

The night before Christopher and Kid Flash were to leave, the Lan family had a large going away party. Christopher had a great time, liking these people.

Even Kid Flash had fun.

Derrick was pleased. It was the first time both were fully relaxed. It made him feel like this trip wasn't a total bust.

pagebreak

"When is Chris coming back?" Charlotte asked- again.

"He's coming home tomorrow." Raven sighed.

"What time?"

"I don't know."

"Why not?"

"Charlotte."

Charlotte pouted.

"I know you miss your best friend but he's coming back. Soon." Raven returned to her book.

Charlotte sat there, kicking her legs gently. "Do you promise?"

Raven set her book aside, knowing she wouldn't get to read until Christopher returned. "Do you want to play a game with Daddy?"

Charlotte nodded pitifully.

pagebreak

Mar'i lit up as she waved to her big brother. She made noises with her mouth, pleased to see him.

Christopher waved back. "Hi, Mar'i!"

Nic'las made an offended noise.

Christopher giggled. "Hi, Nic'las!"

Nic'las gurgled contentedly.

Nightwing smirked and adjusted his infant son on his lap. "Are you finished packing, Chris?"

"Yeah."

"Did you forget anything?"

Christopher shook his head. "I checked three times!"

"We are the prideful of you." Starfire beamed.

Christopher beamed back. "Mommy? Can we go to the pier when I get back?"

"You want to go to the pier?" Nightwing was slightly confused. Wouldn't Christopher want to spend more time with Derrick?

"Uh huh."

"Do you want to invite Derrick?"

"No."

Nightwing and Starfire looked at each other but refused to let any emotion show. Nightwing turned back to his communicator. "We sure can, buddy."

Christopher let out a relieved smile. "I gotta go. It's bedtime."

"Do you want a story?"

"Yes please."

"Which one?"

Christopher thought about it before spitting out a title.

Nightwing nodded and adjusted himself on his bed so that he could tell his children a fable.

pagebreak

"Did you have fun, Chris?" Derrick asked as he packed his aircraft for the long journey back to Earth.

Christopher nodded as he yawned.

Derrick didn't want to press him so he merely finished storing the bags and helped his son inside.

Kid Flash got in, tired himself.

Derrick got in and went through his checklist so they could take off. They were off.

pagebreak

Christopher woke up as Derrick powered his aircraft down. He looked around his island home and felt peace. He was home.

Derrick and Kid Flash got out and grabbed bags and the seven year old.

Christopher raced to the front door and floated so he could press the doorbell.

He didn't know but inside the tower, everyone was celebrating his return.

Kid Flash opened the door.

Christopher waved to his birth father. "Bye, Derrick!"

Derrick felt dismissed. "I'll see you soon, Chris. Right?"

Christopher smiled.

Kid Flash nearly laughed. "I'm sure Nightwing will call when Chris is ready."

Derrick tried to relax. "Thanks. It was good having you."

Kid Flash shook his hand. "Thanks for having us."

"Bye, Chris." Derrick waved before going back to his aircraft and leaving.

Christopher waved but was more interested in getting upstairs. "Come on, Uncle Wally!"

"I'm coming." Kid Flash snickered.

The two loaded up the elevator and went up to the highest floor. When the doors opened, they lugged everything to the common room doors and left their luggage there to go inside.

Charlotte and Calvin raced to embrace their cousin. "Chris!"

Christopher hugged them back. "Guys!"

"You can't leave again!" Charlotte bossed.

He smirked but said nothing to that. "Mar'i! Nic'las!"

Mar'i threw herself from her father's arms so he hurried to put her on her stomach so she could crawl to her older brother.

Christopher met her halfway and picked her up. "Mar'i."

She hugged him tightly, crying.

Nic'las made noises.

Starfire took him to Christopher and knelt before him. "They have missed you terribly."

Christopher kissed his baby brother's cheek. "I missed you all, too."

Starfire looked up at Nightwing, who'd come over as well. "You have missed us?"

"Yeah." Christopher hugged his mother.

Starfire burst into tears and hugged her baby back.

"Did anybody miss me?!" Kid Flash broke through the high emotion.

Bertram made happy noises.

The adults laughed lightly as Kid Flash went to take his son.

As they all welcomed Christopher (and Kid Flash) home, they felt this was right. Things would be fine.

Right?