𝕱𝖔𝖗𝖙𝖞

• 𝓜𝓪𝓮 •

I watched as Zero and Seraph left, finally letting out a sigh of relief. It had been a shock to see Zero, and disappointing to see that he no longer wore something over his eye as it recovered. Though I finally understood why he tore his eye out instead of simply removing the fork. The fork had been silver. If I'd just pushed it further inside of his eye socket, maybe I could have stabbed his brain.

"You're angry," Luca said.

Well, no shit, Sherlock Holmes.

I glanced at him and continued towards the dining room. At least with Seraph taking Zero outside, I didn't have to worry about my meal being interrupted. Why it was Luca joining me instead of Noah, I wasn't sure. But I guess it didn't matter much. A bodyguard was a bodyguard, and I was getting sick of having one anywhere I went. The only time I had alone time was in that damned room and I was going stir crazy.

Luca opened the door for me, watching me warily.

I sat down as he went to grab food for me, and I rolled my shoulders to try and get rid of some of the tension there. I was stressed out. Being cooped up for so long drove me insane, and I just wanted to go out and run. I missed it, even though I'd only started to be ready to escape. Sitting on my ass at all times made me want to fucking jump out of my bedroom window.

Luca came back with two plates and I drew my eyebrows together in confusion. They both had a steak, green beans, and a baked potato.

He set the plates down then turned and went back to the kitchen. All I could do was stare at the plates.

He came back with two salads and some water and I stared at him blankly. "I thought you didn't need to eat?"

He sat down. "Hard to go on a dinner date when one of us doesn't eat, isn't it?"

I tilted my head. "Who said I'd go on a date with you?"

He grinned. "Do you want to go on a date with me?"

"You're ridiculous." I couldn't help but laugh.

His smile turned soft as he watched me, and I found myself having to tear my gaze away from him. I focused on my food, cutting the steak into bite-sized pieces slowly as heat rose in my cheeks. I could still feel him watching me, even as he took his fork and knife and began cutting his own steak.

I had been so angry not ten minutes before, so consumed by the need to fucking kill Zero that the need almost won over my common sense. While I knew Luca would defend me, I had no clue where Seraph stood. Whether he'd side with Zero, or if he'd simply stand back and watch.

He said he wanted Zero dead. But if he killed people to let off steam whenever he was pissed off, he likely wanted a lot of people dead. I didn't think I was excluded from that.

Seraph was dangerous. More so than Noah or Luca, or maybe even Kite. I didn't want to put a target on my back.

"What are you thinking about," Luca asked before taking a drink of water.

I glanced up at him. "How to make it so Seraph doesn't want to add me to his to-kill list."

He chuckled, setting the water down. "I think he'd sooner try to overthrow Titus before he ever laid a finger on you to harm you."

I didn't really understand what he meant, but if he was sure Seraph wouldn't kill me, then cool. I'd still be wary around him, as I was with the majority of the vampires in this hell hole, but maybe I didn't have to worry so much about him. Especially with our shared hatred of Zero.

I took a bite of the steak, noting the hint of garlic as I chewed. It was delicious. Everything the people in this dining room made was. Had the takeover never happened, it would have likely become one of my weekly dinner spots if there had been a restaurant nearby.

We sat in comfortable silence, and I felt his eyes on me as I ate. Burning into me, watching me. I caught his eyes trailing down my neck as I swallowed, and instead of looking away when he realized he was caught, he smirked.

I knew why Luca brought me now. He wasn't shy about what he wanted, and I didn't think for one second this "date" was anything but him trying to warm me up to the idea of fucking him.

"What if I tell you no?" I set my fork down and stared at him.

He was nearly finished with his food, but he placed his fork down on his plate and smiled slightly. "Then it's a no. I don't force myself on people, Mae."

But he knew I wouldn't say no. It was in the way he watched me, that knowing smile still in place. I didn't like what he was, and he knew that. If anything, I think that he liked that I hated vampires. Hated a part of him.

"So," his eyes trailed down to my lips, then back up to my eyes, "is it a no?"

I hummed. "You haven't even tried yet."

He outright laughed. "Finish your food."

I raised my eyebrows. Who did he think he was, telling me what to do?

"Finish. Your. Food." He slid the plate closer to me. "You'll need it. And drink the water."

I snorted, picking up my fork again. "Yes sir."

His smile fell and he stared at me with so much hunger that I was almost afraid to move. In that moment, everything around us seemed to fall away and it was just him and me - a hunter and his prey. Any wrong move and he would pounce on me. Make me scream for a mercy that would never come.

I knew in that moment that I truly had no idea what he was capable of. What he wanted to do to me. Noah gave me an idea, but that's all it was. Something to think about.

He didn't speak as I finished my meal. By the time I finished my water, the feral look in his eyes somehow seemed to triple.

Butterflies curled in my stomach as I sat the glass down on the table. Then there was silence that seemed to stretch on forever. 

"I want you to understand something," he finally said. "If you don't want something, tell me. If you want something, tell me. If you're not able to tell me, tap me three times and I'll make it so you can. What's your favorite food?"

I was taken aback at the sudden shift in conversation. "I...I like pasta."

"That's your safe word." He grinned. "Say it and everything will stop. Now get up. Let's go to my room."

He remained seated, watching me, waiting for me to challenge him. He looked like he'd sit there and wait forever. Like he had all the time in the world.

If I stood, he'd take it as a yes. If I didn't, and I said no, I had no doubt in my mind that he would take me back to my room and leave me there.

I blew out a breath and pushed myself up to my feet. The moment I stood straight, he grabbed my hand, linking his fingers with my own before he began pulling me to the doors.