Chapter 3

"Bree. Relax. Honestly, he probably has a girlfriend, I mean look at him-," Bree sighed.

"It's beautiful, is not it?" Nate sighed.

"What?" Bree brushed her hair out of her face as she hoped her face wasn't actually as hot red as she felt it was.

"The beach."

"Oh, yeah, definetly," Bree agreed as she awkwardly laughed. "Do you live around here?"

Nate thought for a few minutes until he came up with a believable answer. "Yes.. we moved here a few days ago. I wanted to take a break.. unpacking is actually pretty exhausting!" Nate laughed. Bree internally sighed at Nate's laugh.. it was like music to her ears. 

  "I know! My dad and I moved here a few months ago after my parents got divorced," Bree tried to supress a smile, but she still choked up a bit when she talked about these things. "What are you doing up here?"

"I thought I might explore the area, it would be a shame not to admire this view. What is your name?" Nate asked. 

"Oh! Bree-Bree Lawson," Bree babbled, nervously fixing her pink halter top. After missing the beat, Bree awkwardly added, "What's yours?"

"My what?" Nate, actually confused, asked.

"Your name."

"Nate. Nate Jakeson," Nate smiled. "Sit here." Nate patted the sand beside him.

"Dang.." Bree thought as she sat down on the small cliff. "Even his name's hot."

"I am sorry, could you repeat that? I did not quite hear it properly," Nate commented, giving Bree a clueless look. 

"Oh, great, I said that out loud!" Bree internally scolded herself. "Okay, Bree, pull yourself together. Calm down, and at least TRY to act normal." 

"Nevermind. What grade are you in? Are you going to go to Sea Side High? That's where most people up here go," Bree questioned attempting to sound cool and composed after a few minutes of gawky staring.   

Again, Nate thought for a moment before answering, "No. I am homeschooled." He then quickly added, "I would probably be in 11th grade."

"Would probably be?" Bree repeated in a puzzled manner.

"I meant I am," Nate corrected, trying to save himself from accidentally revealing his mechanical form. 

"Oh.. same! Do you have any friends up here yet?" Bree questioned.

"Not yet. You are my first one. If we are friends," Nate responded, as he picked up a rock next to him and threw it down to the sandy beach below him.

Bree beamed, "Oh! Yeah, we are! You could meet some new people tomorrow! I'm having a pool party, and I've invited almost everyone in our grade. You could meet Ethan, my best friend and our football quarterback. But please don't assume we have a thing going on like everyone els-"

"-A thing going on? What do you mean by that?" Nate questioned, naively perplexed, as he wasn't familar with modern day 'slang'. He knew about things the more literal way. 

"Um..," Bree chuckled anxiously. "I mean don't assume we're dating.."

"-Dating? You do not look like a calendar to me!" Nate innocently responded. 

Bree laughed, "You know, like a relationship. We aren't in a relationship." 

Nate was confusion  (A/N i kinda had to do that ;)). "But you said you were friends.."

"We are, we aren't in a romantic relationship.. like we just aren't in love or whatever, you know- actually- just- you know what I mean!"

Nate finally nodded in understandment.

"He's dating my one of my other besties! Actually, I'm single-" "OH MY GOD BREE DID YOU JUST HOLY MOLY OH MY LORD HE DOESN'T CARE STOP RAMBLING ON YOU LOOK SO DUMB," Bree screamed at herself in her mind.   

"Single? Does that mean you are not with a romantic partner?" Nate blantly asked. 

"Uh- yeah.." Bree giggled, as her heart pumped with fear, while her stomach felt a swarm of butterflies attacking her. "So anyways.. about that pool party.."

Nate suddenly remembered something.  "I am not really good at swimming. I like the ocean.. just not swimming in it! Uh.... childhood fear. Also, I don't even know where my swimming suit is. Probably in a box somewhere!" Nate rejected. He couldn't go swimming, or even get himself wet, since he was a robot. 

"Don't worry about it. You could just meet up my up with my friends and-"  

 "I just remembered.. my.... uh, cousin has a big soccer tournament tomorrow, and I promised I would be there for him," Nate shrugged. He didn't want to risk anyone finding out about his secret, and the more people knew him, the higher the risk grew.   

   "Awww, that's adorable.. he's so thoughtful!"  Bree smiled, "That's totally okay! My dad owns an arcade. Maybe we can go on Sunday? I could bring my friends along!"

"Maybe not. My other cousin has her birthday party held on Sunday," Nate hasted, trying not to make eye contact with Bree. So many lies. 

"No problem," Bree forced a smile and tried not to act disappointed in front of this supermodel of a guy. "STOP ACTING SO DESPERATE!" Bree shouted at herself in her head. "Do you just wanna hang out now? I've got half an hour till I gotta start that English paper!"

"Hang where?" Nate responded as he threw another rock, naturally puzzled. 

 "By the beach, silly! Whattcha wanna do?"     

      "I do not really want to hang from anywhere, but I guess we could walk, maybe?" Nate replied, pointing to the sandy floor beneath them.  

Bree laughed as she nodded and walked down the grainy, wooden stairs with Nate.

****************************************************************************

"I've got homework to do now," Bree said after a nice walk on the beach. "Unfortunately, I can't postpone that English paper forever!" Nate smiled as he nodded.

"What's your number? Do you have Snapchat, Instagram, Twitter?" Bree questioned.  

Nate had absolutely no clue what all of that was. For all he knew, his number was his robot code. Which he definitely couldn't give. 

"I'm not exactly sure what my number is," Nate admitted. "I don't have any of those other things you said, too."

"Oh," Bree fake smiled. "GOD, Bree. He's probably just wants to use you like them all- He won't give you his number so you can't 'bother' him," Bree yelled at herself in her mind. Then she backlashed at herself. "Bree. Chill. Don't overanalyze. He might be different."

 "That's alright. See you later!" she waved.

Nate beamed as Bree went back inside, who was thinking about this adorable new boy she met.