Chapter Twenty-One

When I wake up next to Danny again, he's still in his ghostface attire. One of his black boots hang slightly off the bed as he lays on his back, one arm over his head. The ghostface mask is slightly off centre from his face, exposing his parted lips. Dried blood is still stained on his black leather gloves. I assume he was out later than he usually intends to be, considering he didn't take all of this off. I notice specks of blood on his face, parts of it on his mouth and noticeable dried blood above his lip that ran down from his nose. Good. I'm glad whoever he hunted last night put up a good fight. They managed to make him bleed.

The sunlight makes something in his gloved hand glint and catches my attention. My adrenaline and hope perks up as I stare at the keys of the handcuffs. I lean over a little and stretch out my free hand, cringing as the bed creaks in the process. My breathe hitches as he moves and readjusts himself. I freeze.

When I hear his soft breathing again, I couldn't be more relieved. Again, I reach as far as I could to the key. I gently take it from his hand and retreat back to my side of the bed. I eye him down once more to be sure he isn't awake. I'd hate if he were really awake and this was just another game of his. I push the thought away and unlock the handcuff that bounds me to this hell. I rub my sore wrist and get off the bed. Immediately I rush out of the bedroom and look around for the car keys. Stupidly left on the table, I grab them and quietly book it to the door. I unlock it and open my freedom. Yet, I hesitate.

I look behind me before looking back at the way out and shutting it. Locking it. My hope to escape fades away. He's always going to be one step behind me. I'll never really be free, even if I were to leave right now. He'd catch me and I'd suffer the consequences.

"Shit" I curse under my breathe with teary eyes. I take the walk of shame back into the apartment and set the car keys back down on the table. Instead I take a cigarette out from its package and light it up. I take a deep inhale and walk to the kitchen door where it leads out to a small balcony. The balcony has a rail to lean on, it holds up the latter that makes its way up and down the entire building. That must be where Danny comes and goes. I lean on the railing and inhale the smoke before blowing out.

"Rough morning?" A raspy feminine voice asks. I turn my head to see a older woman leaning against the rail next to mine. My neighbour probably. She seems like she's in her late fourties'. Her platinum blond hair is tied up in a bun, multiple hairs sticking out. Her makeup is a little sloppy and smeared like slept with it on. Her pink silk robe hung tightly to her body. Red lipstick coated her lips.

I nod and look back at the sunny view, taking another drag. I feel her stare before she sighs. I side eye her with curiosity.

"Your the girlie with that handsome fella ain't ya, darling?" She asks.

"Yeah" I reply dully, still bummed from my pathetic escape. If you can call it that.

"He treatin you okay? It's always the handsome ones with the meanest stare"

"...No, he treats me good" I reply quietly. Why am I lying? I could ask her to call the police for me. What the hell am I doing.

"Sure, sure. My Jimmy treated me real good too. Til he didn't" She sighs.

"Did you get away?" I ask meekly.

"Well, he ain't here is he?" She smirks. For some reason, a chill goes down my spine. I look into her eyes for a minute before looking away,
uncomfortable.

"I would hope not" I say.

"Now, I don't know if you two are long term or what, but I seen him around the other pretty young lady" She says. This sparks my interest.

"What? When? Who is she?" I ask too eagerly. She raises her brow and takes another drag. A longer drag.

"You didn't hear it from me" She says. Before I can even say anything, I hear Danny. He's pacing around looking for me, yelling my name. The woman chuckles before outing her cigarette.

"Treatin you good, yeah?" She comments before going back into her apartment. Dumbfounded and still curious, I watch her leave until I can no longer see her. My arm then gets yanked harshly. I stumble inside and land roughly against his chest. He holds my arm tightly and I wince.

"Are you trying to piss me off? What the hell are you doing?" He asks with a harsh tone. My heart quickens with anxiety.

"I saw..." I stammer out, "I saw the key and let myself out of the cuffs, my wrist was hurting. I'm sorry. I just went out for a smoke" I quickly explain. I feel my body tremble at his grasp. I hate being so afraid, but I don't want to make him any more mad than he is. He's still probably pissed about his victim fighting back last night too. He pushes me back by my arm and I stumble into the counter. He huffs and storms into the washroom. I stand there, still like a deer in headlights. Part of me is glad he didn't harm me too much, but the other part is regretting getting those keys. But I don't regret not escaping.

My body seems to move on it's own, my nerves acting up as I get closer to the washroom. Danny's looming over the sink, examining himself in the mirror. I stand by the door behind him, his eyes meeting mine through the mirrors reflection.

His dark hair is messy, along with his tired eyes. His nosebleed is fresh again and his mouth is slightly bruised, dried blood along his bottom lip line. He still hasn't taken his ghostface attire off, apart from the mask. I never would have thought I'd see the infamous ghostface killer like this.

"You just gonna keep staring or what?"

"Um..." I say embarrassed, "Let me help you..." I offer. Maybe if I earn his trust, I can use it later.

Surprisingly, he sits down on the edge of the tub. His legs are spread and his arms are resting on his thighs as he leans forward a bit. I can't tell if his eyes are closed or not since his head is down. I focus my attention on the first aid kit in the cabinet. I grab a few cotton balls and spray them with hydrogen peroxide. I turn to him and figure out the best way to do this. I step closer to him and try to find the courage to tell him to look up at me.

"Danny..." I mumble. When he looks up at me and our eyes meet, I felt like melting. I hate that I find him attractive. It confuses everything. He's scary and beautiful.

With trembling hands, I lightly wipe the blood from his nose, fresh and dried, until there isn't any left. I hand him a tissue to stop the bleeding from running down.

I turn to grab another cotton ball to clean his lip. He allows me to step in between his legs and dab at the dried blood around his bottom lip. I wiped most of it away but I need him to open his mouth.

"Open" I demand.

Without hesitation, he instantly opens his mouth, wide enough for me to dab. He doesn't take his eyes off of mine.

He's making me all kinds of nervous, but in the back of my mind, I wonder who this "other" girl is and if he killed her or not.