Chapter Twenty-Five

A metallic scent lingered in the air as the rest of my senses slowly fell back into place and I came to the realization of what I had just done. My ears began to ring as my vision hyper focused on the scene in front of me. My throat felt dry and my body felt tingly and numb.

Her body was still in place like a statue as blood oozed from her wound. Shaking my head slowly in disbelief, I moved quickly. I placed both my hands on her head where the blood never seemed to come to an end. A weak attempt to stop the bleeding. My fingertips felt non existent.

She can't be dead. It was an accident. I didn't kill her. It was his fault. Right? I can save her.

"No...no...no" I mutter to myself over and over in a panicked manner, "Wake up"

All the nonsense I muttered to myself was more of a distraction for myself if anything. I wasn't quite sure what to focus on besides getting her to open her eyes. Or at least stop the bleeding. But deep down I know it's useless. My hands feel so soaked already. Surely it's only been a few minutes? Yet it feels like times moving so slowly.

My surroundings become more visible now and I realize I'm coming to terms with the fact I'm kneeling by a corpse in the alleyway. If a person were to walk by and see me like this...Shit. I feel paralyzed. I didn't mean to do it but nobody would even consider listening to my plea. It was an accident...

I look at the girl laying under me and my eyes widen. She's gone completely pale and has a plastered look of shock and fear on her face. Her dull eyes are looking straight into mine. I gasp and fall backwards onto my ass. I freeze in place as her cold stare is focused on me.

I feel like my hearts going to beat right out of my chest. She's dead and yet she's looking right at me with her cold dead eyes. My head twitches into a slow head shake as I glance from her to my blood soaked hands.

Before I can do anything else that can cause attention to myself, I freeze. The sound of footsteps towards the end of the alleyway cause me to stop and look. A figure is now just standing there, staring at me. Another type of fear fires up within me. The police will see me as guilty and I'll be locked away as the monster everyone pictures me now. The news will be right.

My body trembles as the figure slowly makes their way towards me. If I wasn't in such shock right now I'd try focus on why they aren't screaming bloody murder at the sight of me. All I can think of is that I killed someone, there's a witness, I'm going to jail, and he might actually kill me this time if the police don't get to me first.

The sounds of footsteps getting closer boom in my ears, almost like I'm in a quiet room and it's the only sound around me. No wind, no people, no nothing. Just me and...

I force myself to look upwards when I see two pairs of black boots in front of me, my blood running cold. Once again, I'm looking straight into the mask that's been haunting me since the night of the cafe attack.

I freeze, unsure of what's to happen to me next. I killed a woman that surly meant something to him? He was willing to meet with her all those times and even act out his nice guy persona. I'm still unsure if she was a victim or maybe something he was actually interested in. Either way, I fucked up.

Ghostface looks down at me and the dead girl next me, that I clearly killed in a fit of rage and delusion. His movements seem almost ghostly, like he's fading. I feel dizzy and nauseous all over again. I feel...fear.

Danny bends down next to Evelyn and seemingly examines her. I can't tell what he face he's making with that mask on, which worries me. He then looks over to me and lowers his gaze to my blood stained hands.

"Yeah...She's dead all right" His chuckle is muffled as he stands at his full height again.

"It was an accident" I freak out on the floor, still unsure what to do or what to say. Danny walks closer to me and stands straight in front of my before bending down and roughly grabbing my face with his gloved hand.

"Oh it most certainly was not. You see, the voice and body may not tell the story but your face sure as hell does" His tone gets serious. My face hurts from his grip and I feel a sudden rush of anger.

I force my face away from his grip and furrow my brows at him, "You made me do this!"

He grabs my face again, though this time rougher. He forces my head back and brings his knife to my throat in less than a second, putting me back in my place.

Fear, fear, fear.

"I made you kill her? I told you to stay in the room...are you saying..." I can tell he has a grin on his stupid face. And it makes me feel awful because it's true. I hate to admit it.

I don't know what to say so I go silent before he leans closer and whispers in my ear.

"I know everything"

It's muffled lots due to his mask but I can make out just enough. If he wasn't holding my face, my jaw would surely open. My eyes widen as I stare into the darkness eye holes of the mask.

"You mean..."

Danny stands up, pulling me up with him and taking the knife away from my throat. I stumble and feel like my legs will give out any second. My whole body feels like jelly. Danny holds me by my waist and keeps me tightly against him for support. I ball my shaking fists against his body as I stand there.

"You knew about everything up to this moment?" I ask for confirmation. Please don't say it.

He lets out a single hum.

"You made me kill her" I repeat.

"I know"

He takes my hand in his, gently raising it to his mask. He places my hand against the cheek of his mask, bloody smearing slightly. He tilts his head into my hand and looks down at me.

He's got me.

—-

I watch dumbfounded as he moves her lifeless body into the trash like she's nothing. He carelessly kicks the rock I used to hit her to the side, kicking bits of rock and dirt over it. Clearly, he's not worried about people looking back here.

Danny leads me around the building to a ladder of stairs that leads up to our balcony. How does nobody see him go up and down this thing? Is he that stealthy?

I still feel like I'm having a out of body experience so when I finally snap out of my trance, I'm back inside the apartment. I'm standing in the middle of the kitchen as he shuts the window, the last cool breeze of the night hitting me. I shiver and gain my senses back in that moment.

Danny finally takes of his mask. His dark hair is messy as he brushes it back with his gloved hand. His face is expressionless. What just happened tonight seemed like a fever dream. A nightmare.

Yet, deep down I feel a spark of joy. Something I haven't felt in such a long time. Hazily, I wander over to him. Without moving his head up, his eyes snap over to me and follow my every movement. He's as curious as I am. What am I doing exactly?

Before I can even comprehend what I'm trying to do, I find myself placing my lips on his.