Chapter 8: Spring Breeze

Y/N opened their eyes slowly. The dusty morning air was cold. Y/N pulled the blanket off of their head and sat up in the bed they were in. They looked around. Their vision was a bit blurry from just waking up. They looked to their left at the window next to the bed. The light was shining in through the curtains. They stretched their arms and yawned.

They continued to observe their surroundings until their eyes fell on the boy on the couch. Bennet was sound asleep with his right arm hanging over the edge of the couch. His breath was deep, and every few seconds, he would make a noise. He looked so calm and peaceful, although Y/N felt bad that he was on the couch.

The previous night the two of them had argued about who would sleep where. Finally, Bennett insisted that Y/N take the bed since they were the guest.

Bennett's home was small. It only had two rooms, the living/bedroom and the bathroom. Even though it was small, the place was very cozy and welcoming. There was nothing really special about it.

Y/N was lost in thought for a moment until they heard some shuffling from across the room. They looked back over to the couch and saw Bennett sit up and rub his eyes. Then, after a few seconds, he turned to Y/N. The two of them were silent for a brief moment.

Bennett formed a smile on his face, "good morning," he said.

"Good morning," Y/N replied as they observed the boy's features.

Bennett stretched and began to get up, "so, did you sleep okay?" he asked.

"Yeah, what about you?" Y/N answered.

Bennett folded the blanket he had used and placed it neatly on the couch, "I slept great!" He said, "I had a dream that I was swimming with mermaids."

Y/N laughed at Bennett's excitement. He got so thrilled over the littlest things.

"That's good," Y/N said as they crawled out of bed.

Bennett turned to them, "so, we should probably get something to eat and then start getting ready for our trip to Dragonspine, right?"

"Ya," Y/N answered, "that sounds good."

"Let's head to Good Hunter, then. This time it'll really be on me," Bennett stated.

"No way, you don't have to," Y/N said.

"Please, I still owe you for last time," He said.

"Okay then. If you insist."

-Time Skip-

Y/N and Bennett were sitting at one of Good Hunter's tables, finishing their food. The sun was shining brightly, and there was cheerful music playing in the distance. A chilly morning breeze was blowing through the city.

People were rushing around the square. It seemed that everyone had something to do. Flora's flower shop was particularly busy.

"Wow, it seems busier than usual today," Y/N commented.

"Yeah. I guess it's that time of year again. Everyone is starting to prepare for the Windblume festival." Bennett responded.

"What's that?" Y/N questioned.

"It's a festival celebrated every year in Mondstadt. There are lots of fun games and challenges and great decorations all around the city! It's a festival of love. It's one of my favorite events." Bennett explained, "there are still a couple weeks until it starts, though. Everyone always starts to get ready early. A lot of them are out buying gifts and flowers for their loved ones."

"Oh, I see," Y/N started to understand why all the shops were so packed.

"When we get back from Dragonspine we should go participate in some of the festivities. I'll show you some of my favorites." Bennett said.

"Okay," Y/N replied. They honestly didn't know how long they planned to stay in Mondstad. They didn't really have much to go back to in Fontaine. Aside from their family's home, there wasn't anything there for them. They didn't really have any friends back home. Some of their father's old companions were very kind to Y/N and always made sure they were taken care of when their dad disappeared. Still, other than that, Y/N had nothing left in Fontaine.

"Speaking of Dragonspine," Bennett started, pulling out a piece of paper from his pocket, "I made a list of some of the items we need. I figured we could split up and get everything we need pretty quickly."

"That sounds good," Y/N said, taking the list from Bennett's hand.

"You can head to the crafting bench and have Timaeus and Sucrose assist you with making a portable heater. Then you can get the ingredients on the list from Blanche and cook some food to go. I will visit Wagner and have him upgrade our weapons and ensure they are both in good condition. Then I can go to the adventurer's guild and get a map from Katheryne. After we finish, we can meet back up at my place and start packing."

"That works for me," Y/N said.

It was 11:00 in the morning, so they had plenty of time to complete all of their tasks.

"Alright then! Let's get started! I'll head to Wagner's now." Bennett said.

Y/N pulled out their sword. It was old and rusty and pretty beat up. It was quite dull and scratched. The sword used to belong to their dad. It was the first sword he ever owned.

"Here," Y/N said, handing the sword to Bennett, "please be really careful with it. It means a lot to me."

"Okay, I promise I won't let anything happen to it," Bennett replied.

With that, Bennett carefully took the weapon from Y/N's hands and left to the blacksmith.

Y/N stood up and stretched their shoulders. They glanced at the list. Luckily everything they needed was in the square. That was probably the best thing about a small city like Mondstadt.

They tucked the paper in their back pocket and made their way to the crafting bench.

Author's note: sorry I uploaded this so late today! I was pretty busy and almost forgot about it.

(1k words)