FIVE. rejection perfection

LAYLA BEASLEY

LAYLA BEASLEY.

A name that held such power in Seaford. It seemed like a joke or even a very large stretch, but it wasn't. Layla Beasley was just that girl. The "it girl" of Seaford.

Guys wanted to be with her and girls wanted to be her. It was sickening.

Especially for a girl like Kim Crawford.

"So, Jack do you want to hang out on Saturday?" Kim asked.

"Yeah, sure. What do you wanna do?"

"Oh, I don't know. Uh... Hey, maybe we can swing by the riverside country club for the swan's court cotillion ball or something."

Jack fell from his peg board, flat on his back and quickly stood up.

"I am not going to any ball. I hate tuxedos. I can't dance." Jack scoffed, "Oh, and one more thing... I am a dude. Dudes don't do cotillions."

But they soon found out that Milton and Jerry were both going and apparently had dorky dates to accompany them.

At school, the next day, Layla saw Kim sitting by herself in the cafeteria.

She furrowed her brows and joined the girl.

"Any reason you're sitting alone?" Layla asked.

"Any reason you're sitting with me?"

"Because you're sitting by yourself, but if you wish to be alone—"

"Okay!" Kim called, "I'm sorry. It's just... the cotillion is Saturday and the guy I asked said he didn't want to go."

Layla sat back down, "Jack?"

"How'd you know?"

"He told me."

Layla and Jack had become close. The two of them training in the dojo after hours. It was strange that the most popular and seemingly powerful girl at Seaford was hanging out with a couple of karate kids was strange, but it wasn't something to look down upon. She made karate kids look cool.