EIGHT. say goodbye to grand master jack

IT TOOK a lot to impress Layla

IT TOOK a lot to impress Layla. You could preform the most impressive and dangerous stunt successfully and she would most likely shrug it off. That action only would have the person shunned from Seaford and they would never be heard from again.

Ever heard of Dalton Vazquez? Didn't think so.

But on this occasion, Jack Brewer had heavily impressed Layla Beasley.

So much so that she went home that night and sat with the thought.

What did he even do to impress her so?

Well, their was another chance for the kids at the Bobby Wasabi Dojo to earn their belts and Jack was up to bat. He was already a black belt, there was not going up from there, but this could make or break his career.

The guy he was up against hadn't lost in over two years and it was looking pretty bad for Jack in the beginning.

But Jack was pretty good at what he knew best and he won the fight, not with ease, but he won nonetheless.

And Layla was impressed. She stood to her feet to congratulate the boy and his excitement just... took over.

He wrapped her arms around the girl with a wide smile on his face. The hug was pretty tight and Layla hadn't registered that until later that night.

Anyway, Layla squeezed Jack back with just as much force and it didn't ponder on the two of them that the hug lasted a little longer than what a hug should've. A hug between friends that is.

The two of them separated and gave each other an awkward smile and waved each other off.

And they didn't talk about it for days.

In fact, when school started, Layla walked down the steps of Seaford High and paused halfway when she saw Jack and Lorie talking besides the steps.

Lorie laughed and almost speaking too fast to understand, handed Jack the heart shaped balloon and walked off while laughing.

Layla nodded slowly to herself and made her way towards the bottom of the steps where she pressed her back against the railing.

"Do prefer blondes?" Layla asked.