FIVE

G I A N A

The smell of death roamed throughout the air as blood continued to slide down my sword; the remains of my enemies. The very beasts who intended to rip peace from the core of my home, Aropia. I intended to give my last breath to the surroundings of battle, if it will unite with the wind to blow down those who are against us.

Clashing of swords, growls, howls, hells, cries of pain and agony, the whisper of death being breathed into the ears of my people, lulling them to eternal slumber, all sounds of war. Sounds of war that echoed around me, leaving my heart to copy its tempo as they began a waltz of rage, agony, pain, dread, and loss.

A repetition of these sounds were created as the beasts seemed to duplicate with each one that had fallen, and my sword met the challenge of parting heads from body like I was skilled braider of Aropia taking on the experience of hair. With each death came the fulfilment of my promise to protect my people's life as if it was my own, so I craved the fall of the bodies that were my enemies.

This was it

Thought after thought

Fear

Worry

The end?

The end...

But as I led death into the arms of another enemy with a swipe of my sword, I held that lie and covered it with faith to create hope. The creation only lasted so long as the approaching of another beast served to remind me that war was no place for hope.

The growl of the beast that stood before me sent vibrations through the now fragile hope with such intensity, that my hope drifted closer towards its breaking point that promised its descent into a million pieces. My eyes shot downwards to its incoming steps as my heart tapped against my chest in such a strong, and rapid manner, that I was left wondering if it was looking to escape my chest.

MY PEOPLE.

I watched as it moved closer to me and I stood there waiting for the perfect moment; waiting for the moment it decided to lunge forward and attack, I stood waiting...

Footsteps after footsteps

Thought after thought

Now

The agile and swift movement towards me had me swinging my sword in the direction of its exposed neck, and the blade travelled through the beast's thick fur with quickness and heavy determination to meet its skin; skin that split under the sharpness of my weapon to gain blood that flowed recklessly.

The limpness of its body and its whines of pain as it fell to the ground before me had my nerves calming slightly, but not enough since my fear and rage had my blade-held hand lifting once more to perform one last act, which left the blade to sink into its neck.

MY PEOPLE.

Another beast floating in the sea of bodies while my breaths whispered beneath all the other sounds present.

MY PEOPLE.

I quickly pulled back my sword to turn in the direction of another incoming growl, to see a much smaller but equally intimidating hairy creature, that seemed to be filled with the same determination, and the sight had me looking around for something to block the attack that I knew woul—

Shield

I quickly took strides to the right to grab the shield off the ground that was left discarded by the body of one of my warriors, and the mere thought had me fighting back rushing emotions that would cripple me with grief and torment if given the chance.

EMOTIONS ARE NOT REQUIRED OF ME.

I turned back to the beast just in time to catch the weight of its body on the surface of the iron for a defensive block, which only did so much since it performed a swipe instantly in response to my actions to tear the skin of my arm.

The feeling of a now open wound had me pushing with as much force as I could to throw the beast to the side. My body praised the rushing adrenaline that resided in me for numbing the majority of the pain, which should've been strangling me as I swung with my opposite hand to split the throat of the beast with my sword.

MY PEOPLE.

The sight of its—

A sharp piercing feeling suddenly shot across my back and I turned, at least I attempted to, but instead I immediately fell to the ground as weakness overcame me. The weight of pain had gripped me and pulled me down with such strength that my fights were futile.

I now floated in the sea of bodies as I laid there unable to move, while skin bathed in the rushing blood and organs of others as the smell of death caressed my nostrils. Death began to feel familiar as adrenaline tried its best to assist, but the whisper of death nulled me, leaving me unable to move, but I wanted to...

MY PEOPLE.

My eyes glued themselves onto the lifeless bodies of my warriors on the ground that I would soon mirror as I laid there unable to move, completely immobilised with

Thought after thought

Fear

Worry

Running through me

The end?

The end...

"Gener—"