V

Dream

I will never understand some people at this school. I never said I would and never expected to, but each day surprises me with something new. 

Walking down these hallways has become second nature. I've walked down them enough times now to navigate my way to wherever blindfolded, probably. But, even without the blindfold, I'm walking back to my quarters with so much on my mind that I'm barely paying much attention to my surroundings anyway. 

I finally reach the door of my quarters and open it, noticing it is already unlocked. That meant one thing and one thing only. 

"Woah, snap out of it, man. You look like you're about to have an aneurysm, and it's grossing me out," my roommate says as he looks up at me from his laptop that is perched securely on his lap as he sits on his bed. 

"Spell aneurysm," I reply dryly as I immediately make my way to my closet, pulling out a six-pack of San Miguel for us. It was a Monday afternoon. I was meant to have soccer practice. Unfortunately, the English have corrupted me into calling football. However, it was raining, and training was canceled. We usually manage at least forty minutes in the rain during Spring but in Winter? Absolutely not. 

"A-N- shut the fuck up and hand one over," he replies as he puts his laptop to the side and entirely focuses on my presence in our room. "But seriously, Dream, I've never seen you so pent up. Maybe once or twice, and that usually has to do with soccer or your mo-"

"It's not football or my mom, Sapnap," I stop him, throwing a bottle over to him. All he does is tilt his head and raise a brow for me to continue. "It's the new kid."

"You mean the Prince?" he asks as he opens the bottle with the edge of his nightstand. "Kinda cool that he's at our school, right? We should become friends with him. Imagine the fucking perks."

Fucking idiot. 

"I don't like him," I state, my mouth tasting sour. The thought of someone like Prince George made me feel nauseous. Sick to the pit of my stomach. It was an unexplainable feeling, but it was a feeling I would rather spend my life not feeling. "He's a stuck-up asshole, who doesn't give a flying fuck about his family, and honestly, Sap, there's not a single thing in the papers from the last three years that has a single nice thing to say about him. He's not good for us."

Sapnap stares at me for a second too long before my frustration grows. 

"If you've got something to say, either spit it out or swallow it with a swig," I say, heading over to the windowsill and taking my usual seat on the left side. He doesn't hesitate before getting off his bed and sitting before me. 

"I just think this is very out of character for you," he starts, and I silently take a swig. "You're all about scouting someone out before fully judging them. You're not doing that with the Prince. Are you upset because he's a 'bad guy,' or is it something else?"

Sapnap and I have been friends for as long as I can remember. The first memory I can recall at all is a memory with him, and since we met, most memories I have, Sapnap's in them. The two of us have been inseparable since the day we met, and I don't see that changing any time soon. 

"Fine, you get the truth," I cave, playing with the bottle in my hand to avoid eye contact. "Ever since people found out the Prince was coming to the school, I've felt less seen." Selfish, snobbish, self-conceited. I know. 

"Less seen?" Sapnap asks, shifting slightly to sit closer to me. He did that whenever I was in a mood; he felt like being closer to me would help me. He wasn't wrong. My first instinct was to distance myself whenever I was in a negative mindset. In doing so, I feel far from people, even if they're right next to me. However, Sapnap always remains close before I can even distance myself emotionally.