VII

Dream

CW: mentions of a panic attack

Nights like these were normal. 

Just me and Sapnap enjoying one too many drinks and blasting music. It helped. It helped drown things out, and nowadays, I have more things to drown than usual. 

"So, I'm assuming you gave the Prince more shit today?" Sapnap asks, taking a heavy swig. A clear indication that he's two steps away from being wasted. 

I roll my eyes, knowing my best friend disapproves of my behavior toward Prince George. "Which one?" I ask with an unamused laugh. 

He doesn't reply, only shaking his head as he grabs another drink. 

To answer his question, yes. I did give the Prince more shit today. Each day, a different approach when I see him. 

The first few days, it was catching him when he was alone, reminding him how much I disliked him. The next few days, it was giving him looks from across the room. This week I've taken up a new approach. Bumping past him every time I walk by as well as ignoring him completely, interrupting any conversation I find him even moderately enjoying. 

Sure, call it excessive and over the top. I know that, but it helps. 

The past two weeks have entirely shifted the hierarchy at this school, and I may not be right at the bottom, but I'm no longer at the top, and there's something about it that doesn't sit right with me. 

"Look, I know why you're doing it, but can't you at least agree that we've had much more time since he came along?" Sapnap asks with a raised brow, opening the beer bottle with his back teeth, immediately making me cringe with discomfort. 

"Sure, but you know me," I start, sipping my drink now. "I don't like having time. Time to think is time wasted." 

No one said my way of living was ideal. If anything, it was far from healthy, but it's how I got by. It's how I functioned. 

"Okay, sure, but-" Just as Sapnap was about to respond, there was a knock at the door. The boy on his bed and I share a glance. I know I didn't invite anyone over, and by the way, he's looking at me, and neither did Sapnap. 

I leave the bottle on the floor by my bed that I've been leaning against, pull my phone out and lower the volume of the speakers it's connected to before walking over to the door. 

Out of all the people I was expecting to see at my quarters' door, George was at the very bottom of that list. Hell, I'd prefer a visit from Mr. Docherty if I had to choose. 

He looks angry. Tired and angry. I like this look on him.

"Ah! His Royal pain in my ass!" I smirk, leaning against the doorframe now. 

"American Nightmare!" he retorts with the fakest smile plastered on his face, and it almost makes me laugh. 

I look down the hallway and notice it's empty. He's come alone. How did he even know where I slept? Why was he here to begin with?

"Why are you visiting me in the middle of the night? Gay for me or something?" I ask, wanting to make him feel uncomfortable. It was the least I could do if he visited me unannounced while I attempted to drown the now apparent issues I have had at this school since his arrival. 

"Gay, who knows, for you? Absolutely not." If I told you I wasn't taken aback by his response, I'd be lying. It was meant to be a joke. Something for him to roll his eyes at and move on. Yet I'm here looking like a deer in fucking headlights.