Kabanata 33

Kabanata 33

Cheat

A landslide of muddled emotions and sensations avalanched down on me. For a few seconds, my breathing knocked off. As though the air quickly modified into water, and I could feel my lungs burnt out of oxygen. Small muscles in my body became inflexible, hereupon my body was as stiff as the corpse. My chest stung, and my heart throbbed as if I was a living cadaver being dissected by medical students.

Thereafter, a total recall of what I had overheard from eavesdropping back in the hotel at Santa Fe catapulted in my mind. From restraining myself to shed tears, the attempts of it from falling down my cheeks receded. My eyelashes fluttered as I blinked the remaining glistening warm saline fluid off my tearful eyes. I raised my head to see him.

Before Laki could even open the door where he was about to get in, I seized his one tensed arm that halted him from doing another action. He bluntly faced me.

"Let go of me," he snarled.

With that, I just tightened my grip on his arm. He did not move an inch. I was certain that he could easily rip my hand off him, if he would like to do so. He had the strength of a man to remove my grasp on him. For his physical strength level, my hold on him was weak when it was too strong for me.

Dapat ay hindi niya na idadaan sa pagsasalita iyon. Hinawi niya na lang sana agad ang kamay ko sa braso niya. Just like how he did it with those women who had the guts to touch him.

In my case, he did not. Gusto niya na ako mismo ang bibitaw sa kaniya. Dahil hindi niya kayang alisin ang hawak ko sa kaniya. And he was provoking me to do as what he says by intimidating me. Within those months that we were together five years ago, he had practiced me enough not to be scared of him. Today, I was afraid no more.

'Yong kinakatakutan ko na lang ngayon ay ang maaaring susunod na mangyayari kung sakaling hindi ko makausap si Laki ng maayos.

"Ano'ng nangyayari, Laki? Hindi kita maintindihan. Sumama ka sa'kin. Mag-usap tayong dalawa, please? Linawin mo sa'kin ang mga nangyayari." Masuyo kong hinila ang kaniyang mabigat at naninigas na braso.

He was showing no expression. I could not predict what he was truly feeling. Seeing his eyes, I could see the void in it. It was so dull. The way he blankly looked at me says that I was nothing of his interest.

I did not understand. He would never look at me like that. My Laki would never. He was as gentle as my Papa and Kuya King when it came to me.

This? I could not accept this.

"Wait, who are you? Where are you taking him? Who's this woman, Zacharias?" The woman as old as Mr. Zacharias Cavanaugh that was probably Divine's mother, reacted ungraciously. Publicizing a characteristic of an ill-mannered person that I assumed as she was.

Nagtangka pa itong lumapit sa aming dalawa ni Laki. Akmang itutulak ako palayo kay para mabitiwan ko si Laki.

Mabilis na pumagitna si Mr. Zacharias Cavanaugh bago pa man ako mahawakan ng ina ni Divine. "Let her take him, Corelia."

I felt relief when I hinted the authoritative tone in the old and aging voice of Mr. Zacharias Cavanaugh. He was in favour of me.

"No! What about my daughter? She needs your son, Zacharias! I'll call the hospital guards to kick this woman out! Obviously, she's pestering your son! Can't you see it? Are you blind? She's forcing him to come with her! She's harassing him!" she hounded.

My grip on Laki's large arm loosened at her use of words. Bumagsak ang tingin ko sa kamay kong lumuluwag ang pagkakahawak sa maskulado'ng braso ni Laki. I never wanted to add myself to those list of women who harassed Laki.