Princess Zara-Melanie

I stood on a platform in my stilettos, as Jaime, tugged on the strings of my corset sharply, forcing out a gasp from my lungs. She apologised profusely, while I dismissed her with a wave of my hand and a grimace. She tied off the ends into a tight knot, before stepping back so I could catch my breath. After a few moments, I admired her progress in the full-length mirror in front of me.

I gave a small smile, then gave a polite nod to her. "Not bad, Jaime..." I nodded my approval.

She smiled, a light blush tinging her freckled cheeks. "Undergarments are complete, Princess Zara-Melanie,"

"As we've previously discussed, you don't have to be so formal when we're alone... call me Zed or just Zara."

"But you cannot deny what you are, Princess Zara Melanie," She gave a curtsey while stating my title.

My shoulders dropped a little, and I gave a polite nod and a smile. "Of course. However the option is there should you wish to use it, I will not mind nor will you be in trouble."

She gave a nod in return, then excused herself. As I picked up my phone from its charger, I went to put my dress on, then looked up at the mauve clock on my wall.

7:47

Inhaling the cooled air as deeply as my clothing would allow, I glided across the floor with my head held high to the top of the grand staircase; made of a deep oak. I saw my father waiting at the bottom, a grin adorning his face, as my muscles relaxed slightly. I walked slowly down the stairs, seeming to float down just as I'd practiced thousands of times before, and taking his outstretched arm, bent at the elbow.

"You look wonderful tonight, half-pint,"

His low, husky voice made me smile, and I tightened my grip on his arm for a moment before relaxing again. "Don't you think I'm a little old for that term? I'm the same height as you now, father."

He acknowledged some of the guests with a short elegant wave, greeting a few happily and introducing me, which I responded with an outstretched hand for them to kiss and a respectful nod.

In one sat my mother, in a rich blue full-length dress, which was adorned with gems and gold stitchwork.

"Father, there are more guests tonight than I've previously seen," I spoke quietly between guests. He did not respond but kissed my mother's hand before standing before the room.

We were at the front of the ballroom, where our three thrones were regally displayed in elaborate dark oak, with elegant designs carved into them. My mother's had plush red velvet covering the seat and back which she sat comfortably; while my father had opted for a royal blue with old bronze nails keeping the plush in place.

My mother greeted me with a smile as I met her at the front, before I stood in place in front of my parents' seats. Making eye contact with a few more guests, I slowly sat down, being wary of my balance, and trying my best not to shift my weight in the hard wood.

***

"Zara, sweetheart, let me introduce you to Harold Theyroy." My mother introduced me to a man around my age, with brown hair that flopped in front of his eyes in waves with bright green eyes. He took my hand politely, kissing it and making his introduction with a bow.

"Good evening, your highness."

I nodded politely in return. "Good evening, prince. How are you enjoying the party?"

He smiled. "I love it, I'm again grateful to your highnesses extending the invitation to myself and my family. We are all enjoying the time away from the vineyard."