Chapter two: weird

"Oh, how can you pretend you didn't say that now?"
White Flag by Clario
—————————-—————————-——

WEEKENDS were Ophelia's favorite, like most people. She loved the idea of not having to worry about going to classes or studying. It made her relieved. Though, something about today was different. Ophelia was distracted by her overwhelming thoughts about the new professor.

"I'm just saying, it's ridiculous the way she teaches," Ophelia stated to Macy as they walked out of the Great Hall. Which was filled with students walking in and out of open corridors.  

"It's been one week and she is practically taking over the school. " Macy huffed, running a hand through her straight brown hair.

"Yeah," Woodlock scrunched up her nose in thought. She remembered there was a book she needed to return, "I need to go to the library." She told Macy, "Wanna come?"

"You want me to spend this beautiful day at the library?" She laughed lightly, "No way. You have fun with that."

"I will thank you very much." She started making a turn to the hallway leading to the Destination, leaving her friend behind.

The library wasn't crowded, only a few people. She returned her book and decided since she was there, she might as well get a new one. She adored reading, getting lost in another world brought her so much joy. She sat at a long table and began flipping through the yellowing pages.

"Well isn't this surprising," A voice came from behind her, making her heart miss a beat. "Didn't know you could read, Woodlock." She took in a sharp inhale, turning around in her seat. "I mean, you can barely cast a spell." Draco crossed his arms over his chest.

"Oh fuck off Malfoy." She seethed.

"Would you look at that? Someone is in a bad mood." He shook his head and shoved his hands into his pockets as he turned around, walking away.

"Weird." Ophelia muttered to herself.

-

She stayed at the library for about an hour before getting dreadfully bored. She went through a list of things to do before she decided to take a walk outside. It happened to be fairly warm, enough for her to clip up her hair in a clip. She hopped down the stairs, which more resembled a rock. She found herself near tall trees, but she wasn't alone.

"Luna," Ophelia said softly.

The blonde haired Ravenclaw turned around and smiled, "Hello Ophelia."

Ophelia truthfully adored Luna Lovegood. Something about her flowy presence made Woodlock completely in awe.

"What are they?" Ophelia motioned to the creatures Luna was standing by.

"Thestrals," Luna's voice sounded like a dream. "You can only see them if you've seen death."

"Oh," Ophelia looked over at Luna with a slight frown.

"My mum." Luna told her, she looked back at the creatures.

"Luna I'm so sorry, I didn't know," Ophelia rambled even though she knew out of experience that's not the best thing to say, she was just at a loss of words.

"Yes, it was very sad," Luna sighed softly "What about you?" She spoke with wide eyes.

"My mother as well." Ophelia didn't want to talk about her mother's death, it brought an uneasy feeling to her. It had been awhile since it happened - almost five years - but that didn't mean it still didn't hurt. She still thought about it all the time, it was the recurring thought that kept her up at night, or showed up in her dreams. Luna could tell that Ophelia didn't want to go into further detail, so she simply respected her boundaries and stayed silent.

-

After speaking to the heavenly Luna Lovegood, Ophelia went to sit by the lake (one of her favorite pastimes). She sat down on an old creaky bench and placed her small bag next to her. Lillian had given her the bag for her birthday last year. It was a denim fabric and had flowers embroidered onto it, it fit perfectly around her shoulder. She loved it even more when she had found out Lillian had made it. 

She reached over to the bag and pulled out her journal. She flipped to an empty page and quickly wrote out what Thestrals were, for some reason she didn't want to forget.

"Well, is that a Woodlock I see?"

Her jaw clenched and her posture changed, Draco Malfoy and Theodore Nott walked around the bench and stood in front of her. Draco had a lethal grin on his face and Theodore looked like he'd rather be anywhere else than here, clearly Malfoy forced him to come over with him.

"Draco, Theo," she greeted quickly and then looked back down at her journal. "What do you guys want?" her tone was contained but she couldn't help it but feel a bit annoyed.

"Come on Malfoy, she's busy." Nott tried to push, but Draco ignored him.

"Just wanted to see what our least favorite Hufflepuff was up to."

"Your least favorite Hufflepuff." Theo muttered. "I have no problems with her."

Draco rolled his eyes and then leaned over slightly to see what she was writing. "Thestral?"

She hummed lightly and glanced up at the two boys, Theodore's eyes shifted uncomfortably and Draco just raised his eyebrows to the girl. "A creature in which you can only see if you have witnessed death." she told him, her posture straightening as she did so.

A scoff came up Malfoy's mouth, though he looked over at Theodore and remembered. Theodore had watched his mum die as well. Draco cleared his throat, "Can you see them or something?" he asked Ophelia.

"Yes," she said calmly. "I can."

"Oh," Draco's lips parted slightly as if he almost felt bad for her.

"Malfoy, let's go?" Nott pushed again.

Draco gave in, uncomfortable with the conversation. He sighed and said "Bye Ophelia." as he began to walk away.

Theodore looked at her quickly, "I'm sorry about him, he gets weird when it comes to sensitive stuff." Then he followed Malfoy.

Woodlock nodded and leaned back into the bench. She found the whole conversion to be odd, even more so since Malfoy had already come up to her at the library. Then something hit her, Draco had said her first name. She doesn't think he had ever done that before.

She shrugged off the thought and decided to make her way back to her dorm. She shoved her stuff back into the bag and stood up, her shoes hitting the dirt ground as she did so. She smiled to herself as she heard the birds chirping, something that always brought her comfort. Though, her trance was broken as she heard someone shout her name.

"Ophelia!" Lillian ran up to the girl, accidentally bumping shoulders with her. She had a bag in her hands, making Ophelia think she was just getting back from Hogsmeade. Lillian was tall, standing a little bit taller than Ophelia. She had short blonde hair, like a honey color. Lillian was Ophelia's first friend at Hogwarts. From the start Lillian had always been someone to get straight to the point, not taking shit from anyone. Woodlock admired her. "Bloody hell," she uttered, "What was Malfoy and Nott talking to you about?"

"I don't even know." She sighed, "Not important though." Her eyes landed on the small goodie bag in Lillian's hand. "How was Hogsmeade?"

Lillian then began on a rant, explaining how some Slytherins (Pansy Parkinson and Daphne Greengrass) were messing around with some second year Hufflepuffs. She expressed how she had to be the one to stand up for them but Pansy was being stubborn. Lillian and Pansy had a strange relationship. Ophelia wasn't sure if they were friends or not, but she had seen them talking when "no one" was looking.

-
so excited to add in subplots