Chapter six: lying

"Think I like you best when you're just with me and no one else."
K., By Cigarettes After Sex
_________________________________

OPHELIA slowly dragged her feet behind Macy and Lillian, the three of them walking into their late Astronomy class. Woodlock grasped onto her hand, a wince shooting out of her mouth as the pain ached through her.

Macy turned around at the noise, "Ophelia, are you okay?"

"Yes." she lied, the feeling hadn't gone down. For anything it had gotten worse. She pulled her sleeve over the words as she took her seat by Malfoy.

"We need to do the Constellation part of the project," Draco spoke, his elbows leaning on the table. "How about we stay after class and do it?"

She hummed in reply, slumping back into her chair.

"Quiet down," Their Professor hushed the class, "Finish up any notes or readings that you still have." she sat down in her seat, "Ask me if you have any questions." her voice was stern.

Draco turned to Ophelia, who was looking down at her notes, eyes scanning the page. "So, why were you late to dinner?"

Her eyebrows furrowed and she stopped reading. Redness ran through her face, "I, uh, had detention." she muttered, she didn't even realize it but her teeth began gnawing on her lip out of pure anxiousness. She still didn't look at him.

He stared deeply at the side of her head, "Did she hurt you?" Malfoy was more than aware of what Umbridge did to people who got in trouble.

Her eyes flicked to her hand, "No," she shook her head, "She didn't."

"You're a horrible liar, Woodlock." His lips slid into a smirk.

A fake laugh trickled out of Ophelia's mouth, "I'm not lying."

"So let me get this straight," He tilted his head at the girl, his elbow now resting on the back of his own chair, "Professor Umbridge, someone who quite honestly does not like you, just made you sit in her office and didn't use an enchanted quill?" he spoke in disbelief.

She finally turned and faced him, "Well for starters, Umbridge happens to love me,"

"No she doesn't. Don't flatter yourself." He cut her off.

"Okay, well, how do you know about the whole hand shit she does?"

"I'm a part of the Inquisitorial Squad, remember?" He paused before his next actions. He quickly grabbed her left hand, rolling up the sleeve. "Shit Woodlock," he muttered, examining the swollen words. "The hell did you do to make her do that?" 

He let go of her hand as she spoke, "I was caught out of class." She spoke as if he should have known, that if he hadn't made the comment she wouldn't have had detention.

Draco continued to look at her for a few seconds before returning his attention to his notes. The pair worked silently for the rest of class.

"Class is dismissed."

Ophelia quickly stood up and collected her things. She noticed that Draco had walked up to their professor, she couldn't hear the words but she saw him motion towards her. Her eyebrows furrowed as she noticed a smile come onto his face. He turned to face Ophelia and walked over to her.

"We are able to look at the constellation now." He said, slowly they became the only people in the room. Even the professor had left to go to her office. She was completely and utterly alone with him. "Let's get this over with." he muttered and walked past her and slumped over to the telescope.

She followed him, digging into her bag for her notebook. She placed her bag onto a nearby desk and her eyes flickered up to the night sky. She felt a grin tug on her lips.

"What are you so smiley about?" he scoffed, but a part of him felt a smile of his own form.

There was something about her.

"The sky," her eyes gleamed and she was fully consumed by the sight. "The moon, it's beautiful." she snapped her eyes to him, redness floating onto her cheeks in embarrassment. "I, uh, mean," she cleared her throat, "The sky looks cool." she forced her stare to the ground, her gaze flinging shut. She felt so stupid.

Draco laughed at the girl standing a few feet in front of him. "You're ridiculous." he shook his head and gestured for her to look through the telescope first. She took a step forward, putting her glasses on her head and then bending down slightly to see. "See anything yet?"

"No," she murmured, a sigh leaving her lips. "You wanna see?"

"Sure," he said, taking her place. She gnawed on her lip as she waited, he was silent for a while until: "Wait I think I see it," Ophelia's posture straightened in excitement. "Yeah," he smiled and stood up "Here." He stepped aside and placed his hand on her back, guiding her to the right position.

A small gasp came out of her mouth. " I see it too!" she muttered how pretty it was to herself and flipped open her notebook. "I can write down some notes," she hummed quietly and scribbled down basic information. 

Draco crossed his arms over his chest, "Why do you like this class so much?

She shrugged and didn't look up from her page, "Don't know, I just really like the idea of it I think." she then remembered to put her glasses back over her eyes.

Malfoy nodded his head and stared at her, watching as her eyebrows furrowed as she wrote. "This seems to be the only class you like." he murmured, almost too quiet for her to hear.

"It is." she mumbled. It was the truth, she didn't understand anything in her other classes. She was barely passing.

"Can I ask you a question?"

"Another one?" she laughed lightly, and then she gave him a warm smile. A smile that Draco thought he could drown in. "Go ahead."

"You're friends with Potter, right?" she nodded so he continued, "Do you know if he is doing anything suspicious?"

Her eyes widened and she sucked in a short inhale. "No, uh," she swallowed hard. "Why would you want to know?"

"Because I'm working with Umbridge, remember?"

"Oh, yeah," she didn't make eye contact with him, "I don't understand Draco, she's an awful person."

He shrugged unsure on how to reply, "I don't know, I have a reputation to keep." Draco Malfoy's reputation of being a total jerk to everyone who stepped in his way. She hated the thought of that. It went against everything she stood for.

She nodded, going silent. A twitch of guilt swirled in her stomach, she felt bad for him. She hated having to lie, but it seemed like she had to do it a lot lately.