chapter 1 // a veiled thief

❝ i came, i saw, i conquered. ❞

⸻⸻⸻⸻⸻⸻⸻⸻

you strolled the streets of a small town, concealed on a diminutive, remote island. a dark, extensive hood over your head and a robe down your body, encasing your figure. during the daytime, this outfit would have been suspicious and eyebrow-rising, however, it was already dusk. the creeping shadows kept you from being noticed.

your long loose sleeves covered your arms and the runes and tattoos snaking down your arms. over time, as you used your power more and more, the runes that you drew power from had embedded themselves into your flesh. parts of you for parts of power; an equal trade. one could consider it alchemy, witchcraft, but you liked to call it magic. they also crawled up and around your collarbone and neck.

perhaps a scolding grandmother would have been one to scold you for keeping your hood so low, that you couldnt get any vitamin D, or see where you were going. perhaps one would've said you would trip or run into someone, but that was the least of your concerns. 

however, the outfit did nothing to hide the menacing spear- a naginata- on your side, held casually and loosely between your fingers as you strolled at a brisk pace. long and slender, it had intricate designs in gold snaking down and around the pole, like the breath of a dragon. something about the spear felt ethereal, transcendental, almost. the pole shone with a light sheen, a tough material, and the tip, although sheathed, gave off waves of energy almost like a warning - "stay away". some tassels of dark green flipped back and forth with your movement on the blunt side. the spear itself was long; a long dark outline that was almost your height as the pole itself, and the blade reached little over your head and loomed over above. the blade was sheathed in a leather casing, with small tassels dangling down and swinging to the beat of your steps. 

usually you'd keep it folded and hooped away on your belt, but it was dark. no one was out; and those who were were of no threat.

you walked down the lightly preoccupied street at a brisk pace, speed walking until something caught your eye. some vendors were still open, selling some of their remaining goods or simply packing up for the day.

the scent of something warm and buttery met your nose, and your gaze slid toward a vendor stall at the very side of the street, and you found your legs bringing you towards it. no harm in a little pastry before you resume your journey, right? it was a surprise it was still open and had pastries, considering the time of day, but who were you to complain? it was a pleasant surprise.

hmm.. would you get chocolate? perhaps the original flavor? you wondered if they sold drinks as well, or maybe little trinkets to go along... ooo! what about matcha?

distracted by your thoughts and the excitement of a snack, you paid zero attention whatsoever to your surroundings. 

however, as you walked closer to the stall, a flash of dark colors encompassed your vision, and the next thing you knew, you were on the ground. your spear clattered out of your fortunately loose grip and clanged its way across a few meters, coming to a stop at a dip in the pebbled path. should've listened to that non-existent scolding grandmother, huh? almost skewered yourself there. you could almost feel the tsk tsk tsk of the metaphorical grandma at your shoulders.

"hey, you alright? pardon me," a male voice called, but you didn't reply yet. 

the cold stone dug into your elbow, and your fingers brushed against some leftover residue moss. groooooooss. you pushed yourself to your feet, your gaze lifted to spot a tall male standing in front of you, his dark eyes searching for any face under the hood. "i'm fine," you replied, patting off any leftover dirt on your attire. you walked over to your spear, picking it up with your hand and tossing it lightly to your left. you made sure the sheath was correctly on; couldnt stab any innocent by-passer, can we now?