chapter 5 // sapphires and rubies

❝ they say dreamers never die. ❞

⸻⸻⸻⸻⸻⸻⸻

you woke up to the scent of something cooking and the light from underneath the crack of your door. rubbing your eyes groggily, you rolled off the side of your bed and onto your feet. your clothes were wrinkly and crooked, your hair a rat's nest. you had always slept in your day clothes, without a blanket, in case you needed to get out there fast. man.. you missed your sheep patterned pajamas. they were so comfortable and soft.

yet you paid it no heed and walked out of the room and toward the smell. it was from the galley; where the crew was sitting, chatting merrily. ah, yes, social interaction first damn thing in the morning. 

when your eyes finally adjusted to the light, you saw plates stacked high around the table. your captain was at the stove, a pan and spatula in his hand, his eyes scrunched in concentration. in the pan were pancakes, and more batter in a little bowl beside him, dripping batter down the sides and onto the counter. 

never, ever, did you think you'd see your captain, the mysterious and seemingly reserved man, making pancakes for his crew in a pink and black apron that read I'LL FEED ALL U FUCKERS. 

you watched as his stormy eyes stared intently at the pancakes, his long fingers wrapped around the spatula. the precise flick of his wrist as he flicked it, and how his hair draped over his eyes. then he turned to you, raising an eyebrow as he watched you stand in the middle of the doorway. well shit-

"you want some pancakes, [name]-ya?" he called, and you swallowed, forgetting how to speak for a second. your throat had gone dry. probably just the effect of sleep wearing off; very slowly.

his eyes roamed your face freely, seeking a yes or no. then it dipped lower, to your crumpled clothes, his gaze sliding lazily down your body. your cargo pants crinkled and sideways, your shirt off your shoulder and dipped low, . 

one of the men snickered. "have a nice night's of beauty sleep, [name]?" you didn't know him yet, but you flushed and turned back. 

"yes please!" you called back to him, flushed and hurrying back to your room. "to the pancakes! not the sleep. but also yes to the sleep."

you hear him snicker under his breath at you as you pretty much sprinted back to your room, quickly sliding into a pair of loose jeans and a new tank top, throwing a plaid long sleeve shirt over the tank top. this new tank top in particular was your favorite. maroon red completed with an "X" down the sides.

strapping your belts, sheaths and holsters around your hips, you hooked your spear onto your belt hoop, giving it a firm shake to make sure it was stable. 

stepping back out onto the deck, you gratefully take a plate of pancakes from bepo for a much needed boost of energy, and walk over to where majority of the crew were circled around a new world log pose, snatching a small bowl full of syrup on it. each of the three needles spun and waved in tune to the waves. you'd never learned how to use one of these, and simply stowed away on ships and stayed on islands occasionally, never being in one place for too long.

your captain must've seen your puzzled expression, and walks over to explain. 

"each needle represents the magnetic pull zone of an island," he started. "the more they shake, the more dangerous the island is. once you lock onto and arrive at an island, it takes a certain of time to reset before you can travel again. the time needed depends from island to island." 

you nodded your head in understanding and pointed at the top right needle. "in this case, we'd wanna go to this one? it's shaking the least."

the crew members quickly dispersed after captain confirmed, some going to the sail, others to the steering rudder and the anchor or simply to go below deck. allowing for the sub to quickly drift out and under the sea toward an unknown destination.