Chapter Three: Her

"And I never prepared for a moment like that, yeah, in a second it all came back."
- All These Years, Camila Cabello

—————————————————
KAI

That was the first time I stepped onto that roof since it happened.

I didn't know why now of all times I decided then was best but there I was.

Maybe I just wanted to be alone in the space I last had my brother.

I didn't know what I expected when I showed up there.

But one thing I didn't expect to find was someone about to meet his same fate.

There she stood on the edge slowly inching towards it as if she wasn't sure if she should do it.

My feet subconsciously carried me to her and as it did I wondered did he do the same, did he slowly inch towards the edge or did he have no doubt that this was what he wanted, just taking the step off.

I didn't know her. I shouldn't have cared.

The world was cruel enough and if she wanted to escape it why should I stop her?

I've watched countless people die and many of them were by my hands.

But maybe I found myself wishing someone would've saved him.

Wishing I could've saved him.

He was one of the few people I could trust. He was all I had.

Despite him only being a year older he'd protected me so much trying to shield me from becoming what our father wanted,

But in the end he failed because I turned out exactly how he wanted.

I reached her just as she was about to take that last step and pulled her to me.

When she looked at me I saw no hint of fear in her eyes telling me that she didn't know who I was.

We stared at each other for a while before she was asking me to let her go.

I didn't want to let go of her but I had to,

Because she wasn't my brother and I wasn't gonna get him back by holding a complete stranger so I pulled my arm away from her.

She apologized many times for reasons I didn't know before she was saying she should go.

And that should've been the end of it.

But I couldn't just let her go not after seeing what she was about to do so I offered to give her a ride.

She'd refused and told me I didn't have to stay with her and that I'd 'done my part.' But I couldn't leave her alone so here I found myself walking beside a girl I knew nothing about except the fact that she was unhappy with her life.

She seemed to be lost in thought as we walked and after a few minutes she stopped in front of a library.

And again she assured me I could leave her be but I ignored her and instead held the door open for her.

I followed her as she led us to a table in the back of the library.

I sat beside her and cast my eyes across the room.

I could feel her stare causing me to turn to her.

I raised a brow at her and she immediately averted her gaze but I kept my eyes on her. I could feel people staring at me but I paid them no mind.