Chapter Thirteen: The Reminders

"My darling you hold so much sadness in your eyes, I can almost touch the scars of your soul and cry."
- Alexandra Vasiliu

—————————————————
KAI

We sat there silently and I could feel her glance at me every so often. Looking over at her I could tell she was starting to feel bad about keeping me out here with her.

But I didn't mind.

Just as she opened her mouth I spoke up.

"You said you like the moon?" I questioned as it was the first thing to come to mind.

She blinked at me as her mouth slowly closed before opening again. "Uhh yeah... and stars. The sky is filled with such beauty. And they can serve as reminders... to me at least."

"Like what?"

"Well I like to think stars can represent new beginnings. And there are so many stars in the world, far more than I can count, which just reminds me there's endless possibilities for new beginnings, whether they're good or bad." Her eyes were glued to the sky as she spoke with a small smile etched onto her face.

She looked so at peace in this moment. I didn't bother her letting her bask in this moment and patiently waited until she told me what the moon reminded her of.

"And the moon, well it reminds me even if you look empty, even if you feel empty that doesn't mean you shouldn't still exist and shine while you're at it."

"What about when it's a new moon?" I asked. "It doesn't shine then."

"But it still exists. It may not look like it's there but if you look closely you'll find a patch in the sky with no stars and that's where the moon is. It just needs a moment. And that's ok it'll shine again, eventually."

"Yeah and you know the moon is constantly changing, right?" I said. She glanced at me and nodded waiting for me to continue. "Which means eventually it's going to be full again."

Her smile grew a little. "I like that. That's a good reminder as well."

We talked a little more and somehow ended up closer to each other, shoulders now touching.

We let silence surround us after a while and neither of us seemed to mind it.

Time passed, though I wasn't sure how much but it didn't seem to matter to either of us.

Her head winded up on my shoulder and I left it.

After around thirty minutes maybe more I glanced down at her only to find her eyes closed, her breathing evened out.

Her left cheek was slightly squashed against my shoulders. Her curly dark brown hair fell into her face slightly and I reached gently brushing it away.

She looked so peaceful and beautiful.

Very beautiful.

She held so much beauty, her face and soul but her mind was a dangerous place. Her mind told her lies, lies she believed.

Lies I know my brother believed as well.

I won't let it happen again.

I can't let it happen again.

I didn't want to bother her, especially seeing the dark bags under her eyes telling me she needed sleep but I also didn't want her sleeping out here.

"Moon," I called as I gently shook her shoulder.

"Hmm?" She muttered, sleepily.

"Let's get you inside." I said as I started to move her but a crease formed between her eyebrows.