Chapter 2. The Date

"No, I don't like that."

As if they had come together about it, Edythe sighed and Carlie crossed her arms. One was tired and the other was frustrated.

"I don't know how many things you've tried on already. Aren't you tired?"

"And it's funny that Carlie says that, since she's a model."

The aforesaid nodded, agreeing with her redheaded friend.

"I just don't feel... comfortable, girls. I don't feel like myself. I wanted your advice, but with clothes that I'd wear, not with what you'd wear. Carlie, you always look flawless. And you always dress simply, but it shows that you're from high society, Edythe. I am... I don't know, plainer."

"What a way to talk about the way any of us three dresses," Edythe said, with her eyebrows raised.

"I didn't mean to sound offensive, it's just that..."

"I know, that's not why I'm saying it. It's just that you sound very defeated. Well, so we'll go to your place and help you choose between your clothes. Or... how about we go shopping?"

"I love the idea!"

"I don't know, girls... Buy myself clothes for a blind date that I don't even know how it's going to go?"

Edythe scolded her with her eyes, but Carlie looked at her with kind of sadness.

"I know you're disheartened because they all go wrong, Christie, but think about it this way: just because some of them went wrong doesn't mean they all will. And even if you don't find your future partner you might meet new people. And that can open doors for you to meet more people! The more people you meet, the more chances there are that you will find the love of your life.

Because it was true, what Carlie said was based on pure reality: Christine might have had several acquaintances, but due to her introverted nature and her autonomous profession, she dealt with very few people. The only close people she had and with whom she spoke often were her two friends and her parents. Then there were her clients, but those didn't count, of course.

Edythe looked at Carlie, impressed, because she didn't expect that kind of words would come out from her mouth. She nodded, satisfied, and looked back at Christine.

"Carlie is right."

The woman shook out her curly hair, reflecting on her words, and then smiled a little. The issue of her failed dates had mixed up with the whole murdered women thing and an order that required quite a bit effort for her part, but it helped that her friends were always there for her. Even as busy as Carlie's life was, with her living in London while she and Edythe resided in Birmingham, she always there to help or cheer her up when she needed it. Or, as for that case in particular, even to get her a new date.

"Alright. You really are right, Carlie," she conceded. "Let's go shopping then. But let's not dwell too long, please, I have to get to work."

"Then there's no time to waste," Edythe sentenced, and immediately after, she hooked onto Christine's arm and started walking out of her house. Carlie followed them.

The shopping didn't last long, but that time was enough for the girls to cheer up Christine.

"Thank you, it's been a good afternoon," she told them when they were about to say goodbye. Christine stood in the doorway of her apartment. "When is the date? Between one thing and another, I had forgotten to ask you," she asked Carlie. Her smile made it clear that she was in a better mood.

"On Saturday! At six, for dinner. Calm down, I suggested an affordable restaurant and he had no problem."

Christine made her own schedule, but she tried to keep a normal routine, so she grateful that she had thought of that when setting up the date for her.