Chapter 3. The Attractive Stranger

The handsome stranger pulled her to the corner of the restaurant, where the window which allowed to see the diners from the streets and vice versa ended. He released her hand and, from there, looked inside and immediately said:

"He's heading towards the exit of the restaurant, we'd better hurry. He seems like he wants to follow you."

This time, he didn't grab her hand again. He just ran a few meters beyond the restaurant and opened the passenger door of the red Toyota RAV4 to invite her to get in.

Disturbed as she was by the discomfort Ellis had caused her and the nervousness of running off with a stranger, Christine didn't think too long about it. She just wanted to get out of there and go back home, so she ran to the vehicle and got in with the man's help. He closed the door and walked around the car to get into the driver's seat.

Christine didn't know how long it took from when she left the restaurant until the car started up, but the attractive hero of the night started the engine and they were off before Ellis was out on the street.

Good thing..., Christine thought.

It didn't take her many seconds, however, to come back to reality and tense up because she had just jumped into a stranger's car like she was a teenager. Well, like a teenager? Like a little girl! What was she thinking?

I was clearly not thinking, she told herself. Well, yeah, I just wanted to get out of there.

And he gave her the way out.

She was clasping her hands on her lap and shaking her right leg, restlessly. What if he was the serial killer? She had gone into the lion's den all by herself and without any effort on his part... And the car was big and discreet, perfect for a kidnapper and murderer.

Her head was so full of those thoughts that she didn't get smoke out of her ears because that was physically impossible. When those ideas were about to provoke a drastic move, like opening the door and jumping out of the car like a lunatic, she heard the man's deep voice again:

"Where do you want me to drop you off?"

Christine looked at him in confusion, as if she had misheard his question.

"What?"

"Where do I take you? Your house?"

My house..., she repeated in her mind.

"Yes. No. Yes... Do you know where Yorks Cafe & Coffee Roasters is?"

The man looked at her with raised eyebrows. It was not for less, neither the beginning nor the end of the answer were what he expected to hear.

"Yeah. But that place is closed now.

"I know," she said somewhat nervously, looking down. "But I live almost next door."

It was a lie, but she didn't want a stranger to know where she lived... although, if it was the serial killer, he wouldn't even drop her off where she had asked.

"Okay. Let's go over there."

Meanwhile, and unable to look at him yet, she took her cell phone out of her bag and texted Edythe with shaking hands.

'Can you meet me quickly at Yorks Café? It's urgent. I'll explain later, don't worry, I'm fine.'

The silence remained for a few minutes in which Christine verified that, indeed, the man was taking her to the place she had indicated.

"How did you know that I needed help?", she asked suddenly.

"Let's just say that your face is pretty transparent," he asked softly, never taking his eyes off the road, so neither of them was looking at each other at the time. "Also, I was sitting near you and overheard some of the little jokes your date told... Anyone with half a brain would feel uncomfortable."