Chapter 4. Impulses of Bravery

During the drive, Christine thought of calling Carlie to offer her a video call so that both she and Edythe could find out at the same time what had happened that night. However, when they got home and she called her, her friend didn't answer. She winced, thinking that maybe she was asleep and she could have woken her up.

"Don't worry, she won't mind if she woke up."

"I know she needs to rest and not be startled."

"Well, we all need that. And she was probably awake, I doubt very much that she could sleep being worried.

"Then why doesn't she answ...?" The sound of an incoming text message interrupted her.

Edythe and Christine had changed into their pyjamas and tucked under the covers in her bed. In addition, Christine was devouring a cup of chicken-flavoured instant noodles that she left on the nightstand to check her mobile phone.

"It's Carlie's!" Christine exclaimed as she openedthe message. "Oh, she says she was in the bathroom when I called her and that'swhy she didn't answer. She asked what I wanted to tell her."

Christine proposed herthe plan for which she had called her, but the response was negative

"Well..." Christine said and explained what Carlie had told her. "Well, I'll tell her about it tomorrow. Are you ready to hear what I'm about to tell you? Because it's going to sound like a joke.

And it's all about jokes..., she thought, resigned.

She told her the story, and during the narrative, she got something good out of it—aside from meeting Miles— watching Edythe's reactions to every part of what happened that night.

"My goodness, mate, none of that sounds like a joke to me, it sounds more like a fairy tale! Only, instead of a wicked stepmother or witch, you have to deal with a nut. I honestly don't know how Carlie didn't realise that.

"I guess he was nervous and he's not that stupid..."

"And he wasn't nervous with Carlie, who makes all the men drool?"

"Jealous?", Christine joked with a smirk on her face.

"Please, as if I needed a man!"

No, she definitely didn't need that. Edythe was the complete opposite of Christine: outgoing, self-confident and with no intention of having a stable partner in the near future. The Irish woman was more interested in being free and sleeping with someone if she felt like it, without commitments or ties.