chapter 4

On the day Marry Anne had left, the prince sat alone in his room, staring outside in despair as, for the first time in many years he had to let go of something he truly loved. The prince feared that the empress seat was too dangerous for Marry Anne, he also felt that as the future emperor he could not allow for somebody as stupid as Marry Anne to be the mother of the kingdom. At the same time he remembered all the things his best friend would say about her, how she was strong and intelligent. He remembered how cool she seemed to him when they first met as children, long before they were engaged. He held on to those memories, and hoped that girl would return. He was close to being crowned emperor thus he felt he could not wait any longer .Furthermore Arham felt like a prisoner in the palace, where his father and step mother watched his every move. He could not stomach the idea of having his parents peer over Marry Anne in the same way.

 He remembered how lonely his sickly mother looked, as if she desired something more than the life of luxury that was given to her. He knew anything physical could be provided for Marry Anne, but what would he do if she too gave him that lonely and longing look some day in the future. Arham did feel that he may have been too harsh with his words, but he also felt that there was some truth to the advice he had given her. To Arham, nothing mattered more than Marry Anne's freedom even if it meant hurting her for it. He did not expect to hear news of her death in the next month from his best friend and right-hand man, knight Luke Luna.

Marry Anne's nanny was fired on the morning after Marry Anne had gone missing. And the duchy became dark without her long beautiful red hair roaming around the building. The duke, despite claiming that his daughter was dead after a month, did not stop the search. Month by month he'd search every corner of the main city, not once or twice but multiple times until a full year had passed and his daughter would have turned 18. His 21-year-old son looked more like a ghost every day and the duke truly did not know what more he could do.

 On that night a young girl, with hair shorter than shoulder length, bright red in colour and the most beautiful green eyes walked into the duke's mansion. She looked less sickly than before her skin was rosy and no longer pale grey. She did not exclaim her arrival, rather she strolled into the duke's office. With a quiet mumbled good evening and a wave, before she knew it the duke was no longer at his desk and instead, he was holding her tight with more tears than she had ever seen before. The lady of house Luna was back, and she realized in the moment that her father held her, 'Ammaarah was right, I am loved.' as tears strolled from her face just like her dad.

News that the duke's daughter was found alive and well spread across the main city quickly and Arham became overjoyed. Luke whose eyes were red, due to his tearful reunion with his sister the night before asked Arham, why he'd hurt her if he would be so happy for her return. Arham did not respond. Gossip filled the streets and before long the nanny had come back.

Marry Anne began wearing loose clothes and a head scarf regularly after a while, she chose to continue with her father's harsh training, when her nanny returned, unlike before Marry Anne did not falter. She made herself clear when she said she no longer needed her nanny or her nanny's pathetic idea of love. "If you do not rehire me now, I will kill myself. Is that what you want? You want to see this mother of yours die? You were my daughter. I raised you with so much care and now that you are all grown up you say you want me dead?" said the nanny. Still Marry Anne did not lose face as she told the nanny to leave peacefully. News of the nanny never came up in the duchy again.

The duke called Marry Anne into his office a month after Marry Anne had returned, he told her there was something of great importance that he needed to discuss with her. "In truth, my child on that day 21 years ago where the Muslim leaders were executed, I should have been there."