chapter 6: that's just creepy

(This is just a random chapter and Y/N is around 6)

Warning: swearing

They all sat at the table, a rare occurrence within the family. Dick sat next to Jason, talking the younger sibling's ear off, despite them protesting how much they didn't care about the oldest and his adventures.

Duke watched Jason slowly unfold, amused but also scooting a bit away from the white streaked man. He did not want to be a target of whatever Jason was about to do next.

Damian and Tim sat next to one another on opposite sides of their older family. were They would usually wind up next to each other, but were moved after starting an argument, ending with Cassandra being moved between the two (per Alfred's request).

As the boy was forced to switch spots, you remained next to Bruce. He was too busy focused on settling the family down that he didn't seem to hear your question.

Sighing, you poked at Damian, who had taken Cassandra's place and now glared down at you. "What?" He asked. You just calmly stated, "I just have a question..."

Rolling his eyes, Damian picked up his fork to focus back on his food, "whatever that question is you can ask-"

"When can I marry someone?"

The entire table got quiet. Spoons and knives were put down, staring wide-eyed at the youngest Wayne. Dick stopped his speaking and turned to look at the youngest sibling. Even Duke had paused from holding back Jason, who had also stopped his planned attack on Dick.

Bruce slowly turned to face his youngest daughter. No. It couldn't be. Now fully turned to her, the girl's smile radiated nothing but pure innocence. Happy to have her father's attention being one reason, and now that she might get her question answered.

However, she quickly noticed all the siblings attention as well, making the girl's smile into a straight line. Picking at her fingers seemed like an interesting concept to the youngest suddenly.

It was Alfred who broke the awkward silence. Clearing his throat, he asked calmly, "What would be the reason for such a question, Miss Y/N?" Bruce thanked whatever heavens there were that the butler stepped in. The man was still in shock and wouldn't know how to even respond to his daughter.

Y/N merely shrugged, not noticing the tiny blush that had settled across her cheeks. The silence grew louder, waiting for her to further elaborate. Picking up the fork and poking at a potato, she managed to mumble something out.

"Just wanted to know..."

"Why?"

You turned to face the person who asked you again. It was Damian. Answering the same with a shrug, "I-I just wanted to know is all-" The boy didn't seem satisfied with the response. Just as he was about to demand you tell him more, Duke interrupted.

"...Where'd um...did this sudden interest peak, Y/N?" he asked cautiously. Everyone's attention was still on the small child, who sheepishly scratched their arm in embarrassment. "Well...you see, there's this kid at school and..."

Everyone flinched and stared at Jason, who had now stood up with his palms flat against the table, eyes set in a hard stare. Alfred was about to scold the man when the Dick and Tim stood up as well.

Cause everyone was shouting at the same time. Y/N couldn't even decipher who's voice was who. Feeling overwhelmed, no one noticed she had left the table from arguing back and forth on what their baby sister was going to do about it.

"I'll hack into Y/N's school files. From there we'll figure out the name of all the students, and which one's are her friends, then we'll-"

"That's just creepy Tim"

"Don't be a creep, Drake. What we need to do is wait for Y/N after school, seek the child and-"

"Oh, so that doesn't sound creepier?"

"Look we just gotta find the munchkin and tell em' to keep away from (Y/N)"

Duke rubbed his temple while Cass watched on amused. "Guys, I'm sure it's not that serious. It's just a childish crush-" Jason cut him off, "Childish crush? Our little sister already asked us when she could marry the fucker!"

Duke knew he was poking a bear, but he didn't care. "She didn't even mention anything about-"

"What the fuck else could she have meant?!"

Cass almost spit out her drink from laughing.

It was Alfred and Bruce who noticed your lack of presence. Standing up to follow, Bruce left the rest of his children to bicker. Motioning a gesture to Alfred, he received a nod as well as a mouthed 'go' from the butler. He knew the older man would be able to handle the group.

Arriving at the youngest's bedroom, Bruce knocked a few times before slowly opening the door, "Y/N?" he spoke quietly.

Peeking inside, he saw her huddling next to a pile of stuffed animals in the corner, almost blending in with the stuffed characters. The image made him chuckle before asking, "Can I come in?"

The child grumbled a small, "Yeah..."

Bruce smiled softly before sitting down on the bed. He dwarfed it in size, which would make anyone hold in a laugh at the sight before them.

Picking up the banana plushie on ground (she had begged Jason to win it for her at a carnival), he played around with it before motioning to his youngest, patting a free area next to him, or at least what space was left.

Escaping the pile of stuffed animals, his daughter now sat next to him. Laying a hand on her shoulder, Bruce asked, "What was that about, Y/N?"

She looked away from her father, embarrassed. He looked on and waited patiently. The small girl huffed and slowly turned around. Bruce thought of what might even be the right thing to say in this situation.

"Do you like someone?"

The youngest Wayne turned and shot him a look of disgust with her eyes wide, "Gross! No!"

Her father blinked, now confused. "But...but I thought because you. What?"

"I don't like anyone!"

"Then...why did you ask-"

"I..." she took a small breath before continuing, "I was asking because something happened at school." Bruce couldn't even think of any possible scenarios. Not interrupting, he let her continue on.

"-and then since we were playing 'house .my friends needed a 'mom' and a 'dad'. So we got married to continue playing. But I told my friend I wasn't old enough so then..." Bruce wanted to slap himself at what he was hearing.

Rubbing his temples, he struggled to form a sentence. "So...you married someone at recess?"

"Technically lunch time"

"Right..."

Scooting closer to her father, she asked, "Are you mad at me?" Bruce answered simply by kissing his daughter's head followed by a hug.