-A Little Crocheted Doll For My Only Friend || Soukoku Angst-

Word Count: 3664

Chuuya:

It had been hard since the news a week ago, I was a social outcast already, I was quiet or loud and couldn't communicate, I was a month away from turning sixteen when the police came to my door and told me both my parents had died in a sketchy shoot-out. They gave me two options, come to an orphanage and let them help me out or not go, try and get a job and maintain the minor fragments in my life I still had such as my house rent and bills with my school offering me a scholarship to continue. I chose to stay and get a job, the house was now mine but it felt lonely and sad sitting by its lonesome self on a one-way road in a small neighborhood.

Yesterday afternoon after school, a week after I found out about my parent's death. I took the keys from my mother's purse the police retrieved them from the scene and went to open her and my father's old office, my mother used to make all sorts of things out of yarn and wool, she was addicted to it, it was a constant hobby of hers. What I found in the office was a massive shelf reaching up to the roof filled with yarn balls of all different colors, textures, and sizes, not to mention there was the door off to the side of the office that I opened with the same key and it was fully filled with yarn, pigeon-holed-shelves stood taller than me up to the massive ceiling. Well in the other room, they were taller than me anyways, our house was tall, or made for tall people, I'm 5'3, short for my age. In the pigeon holes, there were hundreds of balls of wool and in a few, there were cups all filled with hooked sticked, things? I found a few magazines buried underneath wool that read, 'Crochet designs this week', crochet? So that's what mom did. What was I going to do with all of this then? Sell it? Use it? I just locked both doors and walked out into the living room again. I don't know why but I wanted to cry after entering that room, it felt so familiar even though, I'd never been in there, maybe it was the familiarity of Mom's crochet and dad's workaholic nature. Besides the crochet, there were only files upon files on Dad's desk. I'd realized I had carried with me the magazine I had picked up, I had a flick through it and it had a bunch of I guess designs or patterns for crochet, but I didn't understand them. It had something mentioned for beginners at the very end with a little note from mom, which read; I wish Chuuya can someday learn with me. I balled in my living room after that for the next few hours. I'd blacked out from crying and by the next morning, I had to go to school.

I quickly got dressed and brushed my hair out of my face before not caring to make myself anything to eat today, not to mention the power was out, I hadn't paid the power bill and that was why I was headed to work this afternoon. As I walked it felt lonely, I'd skipped school over the past week because of grievance but I had to attend anyways. The bell rang as I entered the gate but instead of heading to class I went to buy myself lunch from the canteen, I only had a few bucks on me to buy a sandwich but it didn't bother me. I went to homeroom and sat in the class with my head on my desk. 

"What's wrong with Chuuya?" my classmates asked and snickered. I wasn't in the mood for this crap. 

"What's wrong?" a brown-haired boy had asked me. Turning around to face me. I'd never paid attention to my classmates before but I knew this person in front of me was... Dazai Osamu? Please just don't continue to speak to me, I'm not in the mood right now. 

"Nothing..."

"Are you sure?" I just nodded, if I spoke anymore I'd cry. During classes I wouldn't pay attention, I'd just write in my notebook what I needed to do this week, pay rent, work after school every day, pay the bills and go shopping to make sure I didn't starve. During the break, I spent it by myself. I saw Dazai in the corner of my eye sitting with a group of people and I just sat behind the block on a bench, not really willing to eat what I brought, I'd save it for work I guess. After school I walked to the shop I'd start working at, I knocked on the door and the manager came to greet me.