PART 14

part fourteen

━━━━ ⟡ ━━━━

Earlier, all my wounds had been wiped clean, yet I struggled to stand with the weight of the news on my mind. Why didn't I foresee this coming? It wouldn't take much to blow our cover. Even just a forgotten foot trail by the enemy border, or a stray radio call in the forest would be enough...

If I hadn't made Bakugo and I investigate the river, we never would've been attacked, and if I'd been stronger, we would've made it out of that forest unscathed. Bakugo wouldn't have had to call for help. This never would've happened...

Confronted with the wet snow, blowing harsh against the gaps in my goggles, the bite of winter left behind a fleshy burn. The ground ached beneath me, clinging to my boots to send me down to the grave: an attempt to punish my weakness.

It was too late. Washed away in murky grey, not even the sky could provide a semblance of hope.

Lynx stood against the incline despite that. Her hood had fallen free, letting her short, choppy hair rustle wildly in the face of the storm. I couldn't see the future like she did right then. The future where we solved this mission without loss. It was impossible to win this battle without sacrifice, and chasing after that pipe dream was a lost cause no matter how I saw it.

Still, she ordered us to circle back and reconvene with the base camp. Without our communications, the ambush plan couldn't commence further. And if matters were as bad as we thought, soon there would be no forces left to take on the mission.

The other hero pair were against the idea. They held the same construed light as I once did. That we were so close to finding them. That somewhere in the looming expanse, we'd reach the lab and end this once and for all.

Bakugo threw an explosion into the trees.

"This s'posed to be a fuckin' joke? You idiots don't know what the hell you're walking into. This is Shigaraki's quirk we're talking about. Some no-name extras like you wouldn't stand a chance against him! So, go ahead and throw your lives away if pride's what you care about. If you're not here to fix this mess, then I don't give a damn about you."

I wasn't sure if his warning convinced them. We didn't have time to wait around to find out. Lynx led us up the mountain, leaving the arguing duo behind.

The closer we got to the top, the more that dread began to fill my stomach. I knew what was coming and I didn't know how to face it.

Time wouldn't grant me the luxury of working it out.

The explosion rippled through the ground. We felt it under the snowmobile tracks. Reaching beyond the peaks in the trees up the hill, smoke trailed into the sky. Blaring sirens followed suit.