Chapter 10

I had already packed before I came to see the twins on my last day here, because I wanted to spend the whole day with them and I won't have time to pack the next day since I will have to leave for the airport pretty early.

We spent the day baking a chocolate cake because it was our favorite and decorating it with everything we could find.

We went a bit overboard with the decorations. We put whipped cream and chocolate sprinkles, chocolate chips and chocolate shavings, and anything else we could find. It looked like a disaster. But we had a lot of fun though.

We couldn't go out today because it was raining. So we watched disney cartoons all day long and ate popcorn. Gabriel left us alone the whole day. In fact, I had no idea if he was even at home.

Night time came, and the girls were very fussy, not wanting to sleep since this was the last time we would be seeing each other.

I was busy consoling them both promising to video call them every single day. They both had several bouts of tears already.

Out of the blue, Bella asked, "Nicky, can we still spend the summer with you?" I didn't reply.

I, too, had wondered about this . Instead of coming here to see them, I would much rather bring them over to my place. And summer vacations had already been my thing.

But now we will have to see if Gabriel would agree to me having them alone for two whole months.

"I don't know, baby." I finally replied. "We will have to ask your father. If he agrees, I would love it if you both came to spend summers with me."

"Yay!" They both cheered. "Let's ask him now!" Said Bella. "Yeah, yeah! Let's go, let's go!" Livy shouted excitedly. They were jumping on their beds screaming.

I tried calming them down, but before I could say anything, we heard a deep voice from behind us. We turned to see Gabriel standing by the bedroom door.

"What's all the excitement about girls?" He asked. They jumped off the bed screaming, "Daddy! Daddy!" and dragging Gabriel inside, each holding one of his hands.

"We wanted to go to spend the summer with Nicky at her beach house." Said Livy, as she made him sit on her bed.

"Can we daddy, please, pretty please, Daddy?" Bella said, giving her best puppy face.

I almost laughed at their antics but stopped myself, wanting to see how this would go. I really wanted him to let me have them for the summer, but I had been afraid to ask myself.

So I shouldn't interrupt when they are trying.

"I don't know, guys," he said. Making my heart sink. He put his elbows on his knees and rubbed his neck, looking at their dejected little faces.

"I mean, I will have to discuss this some more with your aunt before I can decide." He said, looking at me. Making us perk up at once and look at him hopefully.

He looked at all three of our pleading faces, but when his eyes met mine, I instantly grew nervous and looked down. Away from him, biting my lips, and I tried to remember, had he always made me this nervous?

He sighed and said, "ok, now go to sleep."

They instantly started protesting, but he interrupted them by saying,"If you want to go spend summer with Nicola, you will have to go to sleep!" He looked like he was going to add some more to that, but the girls had already dashed over to their beds and lied down.

So he smiled at them both, wished them good night, and left.