Chapter 21

Today is the grand prix of Japan. Time is moving so fast, we are almost at the end of the 2022 season. Charles is still at the head of the championship, but the gap between Max and him has narrowed. It's really important that Charles scores a lot of points today.

I take a bottle of water from Charles' room and head for his garage. Crossing the garage line I talk to a few riders pretty quickly. They are very focused before a race and so they don't talk too much. Arriving in front of Charles' garage, I meet one of his engineers and talk a little with him to find out what the forecasts are for today's race, when someone interrupts us by tapping me on the shoulder. I turn and see Max. I don't know why he's here or what he wants to tell me, but I know Charles is going to freak out. He's already going to hate the fact that he's talking to me, but on top of that he comes to do it in front of his own garage as if he wanted to provoke.

Max: Hi Emma I just wanted to apologize for the last time I was drunk and not thinking about what I was saying.
Emma: Don't worry, it's okay.
Max: Do you accept that we become friends?
Emma: We can't be friends Max, you're Charles' number one competitor and you don't like each other. Besides, I think you have to go.
Max: Just because he's my competitor doesn't mean you and I can't be friends.

I start to raise my voice to explain to him that it was not possible when I hear Charles arrive. He comes over to Max and starts talking to him rather curtly. He knows he can't act violently or insult Max or he'll risk receiving penalties for his race. He therefore remains cordial but explains to him that he must stop getting drunk and that he must leave me alone. Max remains provocative and laughs a little in his face, saying "see you on the track Leclerc, I'll let you know when I pass you". I take Charles' face in my hands and try to channel it. He has to concentrate on the race and not let it distract him.

The race is quite tense. Both drivers are quite aggressive with each other when trying to overtake. I think their confusion before the race does not help anything. I get super tense and stressed as soon as their car gets close to each other. At turn number 6 Max tries to pass Charles once more, but he cuts Charles's path and their car touches. Charles spins but stays on the track while Max leaves to have fun in the wall. Immediately we see people running and saying "Red flag". There is a red flag because it is necessary to check that Max is in good health and to take his car off the track. Charles manages to turn around and get behind the safety car while waiting for Max to be taken care of. He lost a few places due to the incident and now finds himself in fifth position. Max is in good health fortunately, but still has to go to the hospital for medical checks. The incident between Max and Charles is being investigated by race directors. He concludes that the fault was on Max and that Charles therefore has no additional penalty.

The race resumed and Charles gave an extraordinary performance. He manages to climb to second place and still has to fight with his teammate Carlos if he wants to win the race. They have the same car but Charles works miracles with it. He dares to push the car to its limits and does it wonderfully. On the penultimate lap Charles manages to overtake Carlos and finds himself in first position. On the podium there is Charles, Sainz then Hamilton. Before coming back Lewis will talk to Charles.

Lewis: Congrats for this race it was impressive. And for the races to come, pay attention to Max, he is a very aggressive driver, I was able to realize that last year. He will try to push you as hard as possible.
Charles: Yeah thanks for your advice.
Lewis: Anyway good luck for the championship. Don't let Max win too many titles otherwise he'll try to compete with me.

Lewis doesn't want Max to win because he lost the title to him at the last grand prix last year. On top of that he likes Charles. But hey, even if Max won another title he would be far from the 7 championship titles at Lewis. This pilot is truly a legend.

***

The team comes out to celebrate for Charles' victory and Carlos' second place. Tonight I'm tired so I tell Charles to go alone and I'll order a little something in the room. He leaves and on my side I put on my little set and order a pizza. After that I go to the shower, dry my hair and go to sleep. I'm not yet used to this pace of traveling so much and I feel that my body is not holding up well. I'm very tired and I don't know what my schedules are anymore because of the time differences. I went from traveling in the summer to traveling almost every weekend. It's a big change.

When Charles comes home he goes to shower and comes to stick behind me in bed. He kisses my hair and sleeps next to me. I'm glad he didn't get upset about Max. I know it's not my fault that he came to talk to me but that really pissed off Charles I didn't want him to be in a bad mood. I think the fact that Max is ruining his own race there relaxes us a bit.

***

This morning I am in great shape. Last night did me a lot of good. We go to have lunch with Charles in our hotel before packing our bags again. But here we are leaving for a week of vacation that the two are in Bali. The drivers have a free week as there is no race this weekend and Charles suggested that we go to Bali. It's going to be really cool, especially since there we'll have more time together.

Charles: Do you prefer to just go to the beach or still visit stuff there?
Emma: I want to do a bit of both. Maybe the first two days we can only go to the beach and then we can go visit a little. Go see a temple and go to a local market and go see the monkeys too.
Charles: Oh no everything except the monkeys.
Emma: There's a nice zoo with snakes otherwise.
Charles: Wait am I dreaming or are you kidding me here?
Emma: Me? Nooo. I will not dare to use Tiktoks that I have seen of you who are afraid because a monkey is running behind you or because a snake is placed on your shoulders.
Charles: Oh yeah you're a groupie actually you know my whole life.
Emma: I'm not a groupie I'm just interested in my boyfriend.
Charles: Hm hm honestly did you see this stuff before we got together or not?
Emma: Yes maybe I was subscribed to the hashtag Charles Leclerc now let me go otherwise I'll take you to see the monkeys.

He laughs and takes my hand. He's really too cute and he doesn't take the fact that before I was a crazy who knew everything about his life. Well, he hasn't seen my childhood room at my parents' house yet, which is filled with Formula One decor and where there are several photos of him, but he doesn't have to know everything right away. You have to leave a little mystery and surprise.

*****